Brazil’s main stock index hits highest level in six monthsApril 10th, 2009 - 1:08 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 10 (Xinhua) The Sao Paulo Stock Exchange’s Ibovespa index was up 3.07 points Thursday, reaching 45,538 points, the highest level registered since October 2008.
The volume negotiated topped 5.1 billion reais ($3 billion), one of the highest registered in the year.
According to analysts, Thursday’s good results can be attributed to the announcement of a $154 billion stimulus package in Japan, to the release of US bank Wells Fargo’s 1Q09 net profit and to the increase of foreign investments.
The Ibovespa registered an accumulated increase of 21.3 percent in 2009, showing that despite the effects of the international financial crisis, the short-term perspectives have improved significantly in the country.
The stocks of Brazil’s largest private company, mining giant Companhia Vale do Rio Doce, jumped five percent Thursday, reaching 29.7 reais ($13.6) per share. State-owned oil and gas giant Petrobras’ stocks were up 4.4 percent, reaching 30.8 reais ($14.2) per share.
Petrobras and Vale are the two largest listed companies in the Bovespa, and account for almost a third of the Ibovespa index.
The highest increase, however, was registered by Brazil’s main aircraft maker Embraer, whose stocks jumped 9.1 percent to 9.25 reais ($4.26).
The stocks of the Itau Unibanco group, the largest bank in the southern hemisphere, rose 3.4 percent Thursday, reaching 29.25 reais ($13.47).
Additionally, the Brazilian Real jumped 1.45 percent Thursday, reaching 2.17 reais per US dollar. It is the highest value reached by the Brazilian currency since November.
- Brazilian bourse enjoy best January in six years - Feb 01, 2012
- Two Brazil banks merge to be among world's top 20 - Nov 04, 2008
- Chevron faces $25 mn fine for Brazil oil spill - Jul 20, 2012
- Five cities hold 25 percent of Brazil's national wealth - Dec 15, 2011
- Brazilian oil giant to build world's largest ethanol plant - Aug 19, 2011
- Brazil's unemployment rate reaches record low - Jan 27, 2012
- Brazilian firm creates petrochemicals giant - Jan 23, 2010
- Brazil oil giant announces new find - Aug 04, 2012
- Brazilian economy grew 2.7 percent in 2011 - Mar 07, 2012
- Brazil's ready if financial crisis worsens: Minister - Aug 05, 2011
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Strike halts work on mega-dam in Brazil - Apr 24, 2012
- Brazilian government sees economy expanding through 2014 - Feb 14, 2012
- Brazil's oil production hits record high - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: aircraft maker, bank wells, bovespa, brazilian currency, companhia vale do rio, companhia vale do rio doce, foreign investments, gas giant, international financial crisis, itau, main stock, sao paulo stock, sao paulo stock exchange, share state, southern hemisphere, stimulus package, stock index, us bank, vale do rio, vale do rio doce