‘Brazil’s economic prospects positive despite crisis’January 13th, 2009 - 12:07 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Jan 13 (Xinhua) Brazil’s economic prospects in 2009 remain positive despite the ongoing global financial crisis, says a study by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD).According to the OECD study released Monday, Brazil is among the few nations in the world that will not register a economic slump in the next six months.
Brazil is the only nation among 34 analyzed by the study whose Advanced Composed Index, a measurement of a country’s economic activity levels, remains higher than 100 points.
If a country registers less than 100 points, it means its economy is decelerating.
Brazil’s index fell 1.1 percentage points from October 2008 to 101.2 points in November, down 2.9 percentage points from November 2007, the study said.
The OECD took into account several short-term economic indicators to calculate the index, such as Brazil’s industrial output.
From January to November 2008, Brazil’s industrial production was up 4.7 percent compared with the same period in 2007.
- Brazil to see moderate growth in 2012 - Aug 10, 2012
- Lowered inflation may spur growth: Brazil - Apr 06, 2012
- Brazil cuts basic interest rate to record low - Jul 12, 2012
- Brazil's jobless rate hits nine-year low - Dec 23, 2011
- Reforms implementation key to turnaround growth: Montek - Dec 12, 2011
- Government, industry to discuss growth slump - Dec 12, 2011
- Rising interest rates affect industrial output, lowest in over 2 years - Nov 11, 2011
- Sensex closes flat ahead of inflation data (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- Fitch reduces Brazil's GDP growth projection - Dec 13, 2011
- No policy paralysis, Indian economy will bounce back, says Pranab - Dec 13, 2011
- Brazil predicts higher economic growth for 2012 - Dec 21, 2011
- Sensex gains 215 points on normal rains outlook (Weekly market review) - Apr 22, 2011
- Correct steps will be taken to push up factory output: Mukherjee - Jan 12, 2011
- Bankers revise Brazil's growth outlook downward - Dec 27, 2011
- No short-term solution to economic crisis: Brazil - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: brazil, development oecd, economic activity, economic cooperation, economic indicators, economic prospects, economic slump, economy, global financial crisis, measurement, oecd study, organization for economic cooperation and development, percentage points, rio de janeiro, six months, xinhua