Brazilian warplanes’ flyby shatters windowsJuly 3rd, 2012 - 10:53 am ICT by IANS
Brasilia, July 3 (IANS/EFE) A flyby staged over the weekend by Brazilian warplanes during a flag ceremony in Brasilia shattered windows in several public buildings, including the Supreme Court, the air force said.
Two Mirage 2000s were taking part in the flyby over the Plaza of the Three Branches Sunday when “a shock wave caused damage to the windows of some public agencies”, the air force said in a brief statement.
Military commanders have ordered an investigation and repairs to the damaged buildings, the air force said.
The flag ceremony takes place once a month in the capital.
The air force’s flight demonstration squadron was scheduled to perform at Sunday’s ceremony, drawing scores of people into Brasilia’s streets for the event.
“A plane went by very low, causing a dust cloud to rise, the ground shook and the windows shattered,” student Lucas da Silva told the G1 news web site.
The Air Demonstration Squadron, which is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, organized the flight exhibition.
- Brazilian cadet dies in ejection from plane - Jun 06, 2012
- IAF Mirage jet crashes, fleet grounded temporarily (Third Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- IAF Mirage combat jet crashes, pilots safely bail out (Second Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Brazil's sports minister quits - Oct 27, 2011
- Brazil signs contract for controversial Amazon dam - Aug 27, 2010
- Brazil cabinet minister quits - Feb 03, 2012
- Four die in Venezuelan helicopter crash (Lead) - May 19, 2012
- Blast in Argentina bank - Aug 26, 2010
- Former Brazil president Lula diagnosed with cancer - Oct 30, 2011
- Two banks firebombed in Chile - Feb 28, 2012
- Chavez denies getting medical checkup in Brazil - Aug 03, 2012
- Kidnap victim freed after scrawling note on toilet paper - Oct 11, 2011
- Four die in Brazil plane crash - Feb 17, 2012
- French warplanes destroy several Libyan aircraft - Mar 27, 2011
- Brazilian boxer shot dead by police - Mar 14, 2011
Tags: 2000s, 60th anniversary, air demonstration squadron, air force, da silva, dust cloud, efe, flight demonstration squadron, flight exhibition, military commanders, mirage, news web, public buildings, shock wave, supreme court, warplanes