Brazilian navy refloats tanker in AntarcticaMarch 5th, 2012 - 2:06 pm ICT by IANS
Brasilia, March 5 (IANS/EFE) A tanker that had sunk in Antarctica has been refloated and docked, the Brazilian navy said Sunday.
The tanker, carrying about 10,000 liters of fuel, had sunk near the base in Antarctica that was destroyed by a fire late last month.
“No environmental damage was caused” by the operation to refloat the tanker Saturday, the navy said in a statement.
State-controlled oil giant Petrobras assisted in the salvage operation and will transport the fuel to Rio de Janeiro, the navy said.
The cause of the tanker’s sinking in December has not been determined.
The tanker sank while transporting fuel to Comandante Ferraz Antarctic Station.
The scientific research station, which began operations in 1984, was nearly destroyed by a fire apparently caused by a generator.
The fire killed navy non-commissioned officers Carlos Alberto Vieira Figueiredo and Roberto Lopez dos Santos, while a third non-commissioned officer, Luciano Gomes Medeiros, was injured but is out of danger.
A total of 59 people, including military personnel and scientists, were at the base when the fire broke out.
Base personnel were assisted by crews from nearby research stations operated by Chile, Argentina and Poland, among others.
- Brazil says loss of station won't stop Antarctica research - Feb 28, 2012
- Brazil Antarctic base fire kills two - Feb 26, 2012
- Two die in fire at Brazil's Antarctic base - Feb 26, 2012
- Brazilian oil firm says refining shortfall to last until 2013 - Mar 15, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes deepwater oil find - Aug 27, 2012
- Man killed while stealing fuel from Mexico pipeline - Apr 18, 2011
- Time to frame rules to protect our fisherfolk (Comment) - Jul 23, 2012
- Colombian soldiers caught carrying cocaine - Jul 06, 2012
- Brazilian firm approves $225 bn investment plan through 2015 - Jul 24, 2011
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Petrobras reports gas leak at drilling platform - Nov 28, 2011
- Brazil oil giant's reserves' rise - Jan 13, 2012
- Argentina orders lowering of wholesale diesel prices - Jan 28, 2012
- 4.5 tonnes marijuana seized in Mexico - Mar 11, 2011
- Loss of permit in Argentina a surprise: Petrobras - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: antarctic station, antarctica, brasilia, brazilian navy, carlos alberto, environmental damage, ferraz, figueiredo, gomes, liters, luciano, medeiros, military personnel, non commissioned officer, oil giant, rio de janeiro, roberto lopez, salvage, scientists, vieira