Brazil want to be Confederation Cup champions: RobinhoJune 18th, 2009 - 3:29 pm ICT by IANS
Pretoria, June 18 (DPA) Brazilian striker Robinho is hoping that his side will put behind their dismal show in the opening round of Confederation Cup football against Egypt as they gear up for their title defence here.
The Manchester City player noted that Brazil “have already got over the tension” of their debut match, in which they just managed to scrape a 4-3 win through a goal from the penalty spot in the last minute.
Now, they want a convincing win in their next game against the United States, to get to Sunday’s football classic against Italy in the best possible form.
“We are tired, but that doesn’t matter. Tired or not, we will seek to do our best. We have to make the most of this moment that we are with the national team, away from our families, to return to Brazil as champions,” Robinho told DPA in an interview.
When asked whether Brazil are afraid of ending up second in the first round’s Group B, and thus having to play the mighty Spain in the semi-finals, Robinho said a definite no.
“That possibility did not even occur to us,” he said. “We want to be the champions, and those who want to be the champions cannot pick their rivals.”
Ahead of the game against the United States in Pretoria, Robinho praised the rivals for their defence, but still said he hopes he can score his first goal of the tournament in that match.
“I hope my goal will come out in the next game. They have a very strong defence, but every match has its history and we have the quality to score three goals against them,” he said.
Robinho was referring to earlier comments from Brazil coach Carlos Dunga, who noted that in recent years the US side has only rarely let in three goals, as they did in their Confederations Cup debut, 3-1 against Italy.
- Brazil feel the familiar weight of being favoured (Group G team profile) - Jun 01, 2010
- Brazil was nervous against North Korea, says coach Dunga - Jun 16, 2010
- Dutch masters take on Brazil's artists for semi-final place - Jun 30, 2010
- Everyone has to be well-prepared so as not to be surprised: Dunga - Jun 25, 2010
- Chile have a mountain to climb against Brazil - Jun 27, 2010
- Brazil's beautiful game now has spine of steel - Jun 29, 2010
- Brazil set-up quarter-final clash with Netherlands (Lead) - Jun 29, 2010
- Will the real Kaka stand up? Brazil need star to shine - Jun 17, 2010
- Samba drums fall silent as Dunga fails to answer Cryuff - Jul 03, 2010
- Brazil the favourites, so what's new? (Team Profile) - Nov 26, 2009
- Brazil break Indian hearts after shocking exit - Jul 03, 2010
- All Whites happy with spoiler role against Italy - Jun 19, 2010
- Diego Forlan set for Internacional debut - Jul 24, 2012
- Brazil wary of unknown North Koreans - Jun 14, 2010
- Cabin fever a tough foe for World Cup teams - Jun 30, 2010
Tags: brazil, carlos dunga, confederation cup, confederations cup, cup champions, cup debut, cup football, dpa, egypt, football classic, last minute, manchester city, match, pretoria, rivals, robinho, semi finals, strong defence, tension, title defence