Brazil school kids ran as gunman opened fire, shows CCTVApril 8th, 2011 - 4:40 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 8 (IANS) Many school children ran desperately out of their classrooms after a gunman opened fire in their school in Brazil’s Rio De Janeiro city, show dramatic footage caught on security video.
Wellington de Oliveira, a former pupil of the school, shot dead 12 children and then turned the gun on himself Thursday.
The Telegraph reported that security camera at the hallway showed Oliveira carrying a gun.
Several children ran out of two classrooms as he shot indiscriminately at them. Some of the children were injured as they had gripped their shoulder.
Police said Oliveira entered the school after telling security he was there to deliver a speech.
He then opened fire on some 40 students, witnesses said. One of the boys injured in the attack alerted a police patrol nearby, reported Xinhua.
Police said they found a letter from the gunman at the spot that suggests he was determined to commit suicide.
- Gunman kills 11 at Rio de Janeiro school before killing self - Apr 07, 2011
- Gunman kills 11 students in Brazil school - Apr 07, 2011
- Boy, 10, shoots teacher in Brazil before killing self - Sep 24, 2011
- Brazil arrests two men for plotting massacre - Mar 23, 2012
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Gunman injures four in Detroit police precinct - Jan 24, 2011
- Bank robber shoots himself in the foot - Jan 27, 2012
- Six die in shootout at Brazil nightclub - Aug 28, 2012
- New York gunman kills one, injures 10; shot dead (Second Lead) - Aug 24, 2012
- Gunman opens fire in Hollywood before being killed by police - Dec 10, 2011
- Indian American student among wounded in US shooting (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Brazilian striker Adriano accidentally shoots woman - Dec 25, 2011
- Fred on target for Fluminense in Brazilian Serie A - Aug 16, 2012
- Neymar-inspired Santos draw first blood in final - May 07, 2012
- Gunman kills five, self at US skating rink - Jul 24, 2011
Tags: brazil school, dramatic footage, gunman opened fire, hallway, london, one of the boys, police patrol, pupil, rio de janeiro, rio de janeiro city, school kids, security camera, suicide, telegraph, wellington, xinhua