Brazil rules out devoloping atomic bombDecember 27th, 2009 - 8:48 am ICT by IANS
Sao Paulo, Dec 27 (IANS/EFE) Brazilian Defence Minister Nelson Jobim ruled out the construction of an atomic bomb in the South American country as a strategy for consolidating Brazil’s leadership in the region, local media said Saturday.
“Don’t even think about it, that is the product of speculation by some diplomat who came here with no knowledge of Brazil,” Jobim said in a statement to the online edition of the daily Folha de Sao Paulo.
Since Brazil announced its nuclear plan in 2007 with the enrichment of its own uranium and the construction of a submarine propelled by atomic energy, the international community has been following attentively the South American nation’s defence strategies.
On the question of a submarine, Jobim said that Brazil needs it to guard the more than 50,000 million barrels of oil in Brazil’s undersea deposits.
Brazil’s underwater territory has a surface of 4.5 million square kilometres, and in the strip between the southern state of Santa Catarina and the state of Espiritu Santo in the southeast lie the country’s greatest underwater riches,” Jobim said.
The enriched uranium is used for nuclear medicine and for thermoelectric projects.
- Brazil to spend $3.4 bn for amphibious armoured vehicles - Nov 28, 2009
- Brazil's gasoline imports to rise - Aug 27, 2012
- Brazil's tourism minister quits amid corruption charges - Sep 15, 2011
- Mexican telecom giant to invest $5.4 bn in Brazil - Dec 28, 2011
- Mob kills murder suspect in Brazil - May 16, 2012
- Chinese oil firm eyes investments in Brazil - Oct 13, 2011
- Brazil importing Spanish defence technology - Aug 24, 2012
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- Brazil cabinet minister quits - Feb 03, 2012
- Brazil rejects new Iran sanctions - Apr 13, 2010
- Nuclear weapons bring respectability, says Brazil's vice president - Sep 26, 2009
- I was a bad singer when I started out: Julio Iglesias - Oct 10, 2011
- 50 percent of Brazil's military equipment is obsolete: Report - Mar 14, 2011
- Brazil to build five submarines with France help - Aug 24, 2009
- 17 Brazilian policemen arrested for murder - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: 5 million, atomic bomb, atomic energy, brazil, defence minister, defence strategies, diplomat, espiritu santo, folha de sao paulo, local media, nelson jobim, nuclear medicine, nuclear plan, santa catarina, south american nation, speculation, square kilometres, submarine, sy, uranium