Brazil president says asylum offer to adulterous Iran woman is humanitarian gestureAugust 4th, 2010 - 4:12 pm ICT by ANI
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil), Aug. 4 (ANI): The decision to give refuge to a convicted Iranian woman should be seen as a humanitarian act without political motives, said Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
“I made the offer for humanitarianism, instead of politics,” Xinhua quoted da Silva, as saying while referring to the case of Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, 43, who has been convicted of adultery and sentenced to death by stoning in Iran.
Her case has triggered the world’s attention, prompting Iran to suspend the stoning sentence.
Ramin Mehmanparast, spokesman of the Iran’s foreign relations minister, however, has rejected Lula’s offer, saying Iran considered Lula as “an emotional person who probably had not received enough information about the case”.
Lula, however, said he was indeed an emotional man and reaffirmed his willingness to talk with Iran on this case. (ANI)
- Brazil makes formal offer of asylum to convicted Iranian woman - Aug 11, 2010
- Brazil President offers asylum to potential Iran stoning victim Ashtiani - Aug 02, 2010
- Iran "reviews" stoning sentence in Ashtiani case - Sep 08, 2010
- Iran foreign ministry puts stoning of adulterous woman on hold - Sep 08, 2010
- Brazil offers asylum to woman condemned to death in Iran - Aug 01, 2010
- Stoning of Iranian woman 'barbaric': EU - Sep 08, 2010
- Iran imposes media blackout over woman facing stoning sentence - Jul 10, 2010
- Iranian woman, to be stoned to death, may get hanged - Dec 26, 2011
- Paris, Tehran blast Iran media insults of Carla Bruni - Aug 31, 2010
- Iranian 'adultress' to be executed Wednesday - Nov 02, 2010
- Iranian woman could still be 'stoned to death' for adultery, murder, says Chief prosecutor - Sep 29, 2010
- Iranian 'stoning to death' woman may be executed by Wednesday, claim HR observers - Nov 02, 2010
- Iran's media denies reports of 'stoning to death' woman's release - Dec 10, 2010
- Global support pours in for Iranian 'stoning to death verdict' woman - Jul 31, 2010
- Iran Ministry slams media for Carla Bruni 'prostitute' slur - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,