Brazil plane crash leaves 16 deadJuly 14th, 2011 - 11:22 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, July 14 (IANS/EFE) A small plane crashed shortly after takeoff in the northeastern Brazilian city of Recife, killing all 16 people on board, officials said Wednesday.
The pilot of the twin-engine aircraft, operated by Brazilian airline Noar Linhas Aereas, sent out a distress signal and said he would attempt an emergency landing before the plane crashed into a vacant lot near the Recife airport and subsequently exploded.
Aviation officials said the pilot tried to land on the Boa Viagem beach in Recife, but the plane plunged to the ground a short distance away after it was steered clear of some buildings.
Firefighters said the explosion destroyed the plane and left the crash victims’ bodies completely charred.
According to a statement from the airline, the pilot declared the emergency shortly after the plane took off at 6.51 a.m. Wednesday from the Recife airport on a flight to the northeastern city of Natal.
“The airplane crashed in a vacant lot between the (Recife) neighbourhoods of Piedade and Boa Viagem, with total human and material loss,” the statement said.
The Czech-made LET L-410 turboprop had the capacity to carry 19 passengers.
Noar, which announced the launch of an investigation into the crash, is a small regional airline that mainly provides service among the northeastern state capitals of Recife, Natal and Maceio.
- 16 killed in Brazil plane crash - Jul 13, 2011
- Air force pilot dies in Brazil plane crash - May 13, 2011
- Four die in Brazil plane crash - Feb 17, 2012
- 7 die in Brazil plane crash - Apr 22, 2011
- Small plane crashes in Argentina - Oct 13, 2011
- Karachi plane crash apparently due to 'human error', says expert - Nov 06, 2010
- 3 die in Mexican plane crash - Nov 01, 2011
- Two die as plane crashes into lagoon - Mar 16, 2012
- Six killed in Venezuelan plane crash - Feb 23, 2011
- Lawmaker dies in Brazil plane crash - Feb 27, 2012
- Delta acquires minority stake in Brazilian airline - Dec 08, 2011
- Brazilian, Chilean airlines announce plans to merge - Aug 14, 2010
- Kingfisher pilots go on strike, five flights cancelled - Jul 10, 2012
- Seven survive plane crash in Brazil - Dec 14, 2010
- Passenger plane crashes in Russia's Far East, killing 10 - Sep 13, 2012
Tags: aviation officials, boa viagem beach, board officials, brazil plane crash, brazilian city, crash victims, distress signal, emergency landing, launch, material loss, northeastern city, northeastern state, piedade, recife airport, regional airline, rio de janeiro, state capitals, turboprop, twin engine aircraft, vacant lot