Brazil mudslides: Toll rises to 869February 3rd, 2011 - 9:51 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Feb 3 (IANS/EFE) The toll due to mudslides triggered by heavy rains that have deluged the mountainous region of the Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro has risen to 869, authorities said.The floods and mudslides have killed 418 people in Nova Friburgo, 354 in Teresopolis, 71 in Petropolis, 21 in Sumidouro, four in San Jose do Vale do Rio Preto and one in Bom Jardim, according to latest figures released by the Agencia Brasil news service.
Another 423 people remain missing, the state attorney general’s office said.
According to the state health department, 8,777 people have lost their homes and 20,790 have been evacuated because those houses are located in high-risk areas.
- Brazil mudslides: Toll reaches 860 - Feb 02, 2011
- 665 dead in Brazil mudslides - Jan 18, 2011
- Death toll in Brazil rains rises to 549 - Jan 16, 2011
- Brazil mudslides: Death toll rises to 727 - Jan 20, 2011
- Brazil rains: Death toll rises to 610 (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Brazil mudslides: Death toll rises to 762 - Jan 22, 2011
- Heavy rains leave 250 dead in Brazil - Jan 13, 2011
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Beached whale dies in Brazil - Oct 28, 2010
- 37 killed in Brazil slum raids - Dec 05, 2010
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Brazil to launch satellite for military purposes - Apr 04, 2012
- Armed Brazilian demands bank returns her $25 - Aug 03, 2012
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: authorities, brazil mudslides, brazilian state, efe, floods, heavy rains, jardim, mountainous region, news service, nova friburgo, petropolis, rio de janeiro, rio preto, risk areas, state attorney general, state health department, teresopolis, vale do rio