Brazil mudslides: Toll reaches 860February 2nd, 2011 - 8:31 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Feb 2 (IANS/EFE) The number of deaths caused by mudslides triggered by torrential rains in the southeastern Brazilian state of Rio de Janeiro has risen to 860, authorities said.Floods and mudslides in the Serrana region, according to figures released by Agencia Brasil news service, have left 416 dead in Nova Friburgo, 346 in Teresopolis, 71 in Petropolis, 21 in Sumidouro, four in Sao Jose do Vale do Rio Preto, and one in Bom Jardim.
Another 429 people remain unaccounted for, the Rio de Janeiro state attorney general’s office said.
The state health department said 8,777 people lost their homes and around 20,790 had to be evacuated.
- Brazil mudslides: Toll rises to 869 - Feb 03, 2011
- 665 dead in Brazil mudslides - Jan 18, 2011
- Death toll in Brazil rains rises to 549 - Jan 16, 2011
- Brazil rains: Death toll rises to 610 (Lead) - Jan 16, 2011
- Brazil mudslides: Death toll rises to 727 - Jan 20, 2011
- Brazil mudslides: Death toll rises to 762 - Jan 22, 2011
- Heavy rains leave 250 dead in Brazil - Jan 13, 2011
- Brazil seeking $10 bn from Chevron for oil spill - Dec 16, 2011
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Beached whale dies in Brazil - Oct 28, 2010
- 37 killed in Brazil slum raids - Dec 05, 2010
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Brazil to launch satellite for military purposes - Apr 04, 2012
- Armed Brazilian demands bank returns her $25 - Aug 03, 2012
- Eight gunned down in Brazilian city - Jul 13, 2012
Tags: authorities, bom jardim, brazil mudslides, brazilian state, deaths, feb 2, floods, news service, nova friburgo, petropolis, rio de janeiro, rio preto, sao jose, state attorney general, state health department, teresopolis, torrential rains, vale do rio