Brazil chopper with four onboard disappearsAugust 21st, 2011 - 6:34 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 21 (IANS/RIA Novosti) A helicopter belonging to Brazil’s oil and gas company Petrobras has disappeared with four people onboard in the Atlantic Ocean off the coast of Rio de Janeiro, the company said.
Petrobras said the helicopter was returning from a drilling platform on the Atlantic shelf when contact with the pilot was lost some 100 km from the coast.
Poor weather conditions may be to blame as there were stormy winds reaching up to 80 metres per second Saturday morning.
Two helicopters, an airplane and a ship from Brazil’s military are searching for the aircraft and any possible survivors.
- Brazilian firm makes deepwater oil find - Aug 27, 2012
- Brazil oil giant announces new find - Aug 04, 2012
- `Chevron out of Brazil if it fails to comply with agreement' - Dec 05, 2011
- Greenpeace to collect one million signatures for Arctic - Jun 22, 2012
- Petrobras reports gas leak at drilling platform - Nov 28, 2011
- Ukraine, Brazil talk on energy - Jan 24, 2012
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Olympic judo: France's Riner wins gold - Aug 04, 2012
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazilian police question Chevron's oil clean-up - Nov 21, 2011
- Olympics: Van Rijsselberge surfs to sailing Gold - Aug 07, 2012
- Brazilian firm approves $225 bn investment plan through 2015 - Jul 24, 2011
- Brazilian oil giant makes new deep-water find - Jul 13, 2012
- Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater exploration - Oct 28, 2010
- Greenpeace protests Chevron oil spill off Brazil - Nov 19, 2011
Tags: airplane, atlantic ocean, brazil, chopper, drilling platform, helicopter, helicopters, oil and gas, oil and gas company, petrobras, pilot, poor weather conditions, ria novosti, rio de janeiro, saturday morning, stormy winds, survivors