Brain surgery leaves Yorkshireman with Irish hangover!April 28th, 2009 - 5:22 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 28 (ANI): Staff at Sheffield’s Royal Hallamshire Hospital couldn’t help laughing when a Yorkshireman allegedly started speaking in a broad Irish accent after waking up from a brain surgery.
Chris Gregory’s family was shocked to see the 30-year-old belting out a version of Irish ballad Danny Boy from his hospital bed, even though he has never visited the country.
Gregory greeted his wife Mary with “It’s da broid’ and then continued to speak in the new accent for 30 minutes until his normal voice returned.
Gregory’s strange behaviour - apparently the result of a rare condition called Foreign Accent Syndrome - lifted the mood of the intensive care ward at the hospital where he was recovering from surgery to correct a life-threatening blood vessel rupture in his brain.
“All the nurses were trying really hard not to laugh, and I was too. I just couldn’t take it in at first, it seemed so comical, but it didn’t matter at all because I’d been so worried about losing him altogether,” the Telegraph quoted Mary as telling the Daily Mail.
“Chris’s Yorkshire accent had vanished completely, and he was talking like an Irishman all the time.
“At one point he looked at me adoringly and said: ‘You’re da fabbest gal oi know! ‘ with a perfect Irish lilt in his voice.
“It sounded crazy, but I didn’t care. It was just great to have him back in one piece after such a traumatic time.”
“It’s not as if Chris has any Irish relatives. He’s no connection with the country and he’s never been there - that’s what makes it all so strange,” she added.
Gregory, a payroll officer, is now fully recovered after the 2007 operation but has no memory of his temporary brogue.
“I’ve told Mary that she should have videoed me. At least then I could have sat back and watched myself singing Danny Boy,” he said. (ANI)
- Woof, Woof! Lost in translation - Mar 16, 2011
- Shammi Kapoor's surprise visit to Shaukat Azmi - Mar 15, 2011
- Danny O'Donoghue denies that he is romancing Bo Bruce - Jun 06, 2012
- Robin Hood was a Yorkshireman, claims Russell Crowe - May 18, 2010
- Danny O’Donoghue Not Tempted By Cameron Diaz - Dec 05, 2010
- 'The Lucky One' my most mature role: Efron - Apr 25, 2012
- Cameron Diaz blown off by singer - Dec 04, 2010
- Sharon felt 'ugly' after surgery - Jan 22, 2012
- Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' 'based on an ancient Irish tale' - Mar 05, 2011
- Penelope is at ease with hypocondriac Woody around - Jul 02, 2012
- Kate Moss makes fun of Enrique - Mar 26, 2012
- A one-pound bet that won over 350,000 pounds - May 19, 2011
- Mumbai's Kokilaben hospital unveils robotic arm for surgeries (Lead) (With Image) - Jun 10, 2012
- No improvement in A.K. Hangal's condition - Aug 25, 2012
- Blake Lively embarrassed after nephew sees her naked - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: belting, blood vessel, brain surgery, brogue, chris gregory, daily mail, danny boy, foreign accent syndrome, intensive care ward, irish accent, irish ballad, irish lilt, irishman, payroll officer, rare condition, royal hallamshire hospital, strange behaviour, traumatic time, vessel rupture, wife mary