Brain areas responsible for spirituality revealedApril 21st, 2012 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
London, April 21 (IANS) The areas of brain responsible for the many aspects of spiritual experiences have been revealed by US researchers.
Scientists have speculated for years that the human brain features a “God spot”, one distinct area of the brain responsible for spirituality.
The University of Missouri researchers have based their study on a previously published work, which indicated spiritual transcendence is associated with decreased right parietal lobe functioning, Daily Mail reported Saturday.
In addition, the researchers determined that other aspects of spiritual functioning are related to increased activity in the frontal lobe.
“We have found a neuropsychological basis for spirituality, but it’s not isolated to one specific area of the brain,” said Brick Johnstone, professor of health psychology in the School of Health Professions.
“Spirituality is a much more dynamic concept that uses many parts of the brain.”
In the most recent study, Johnstone studied 20 people with traumatic brain injuries affecting the right parietal lobe, the area of the brain situated a few inches above the right ear.
He surveyed participants on characteristics of spirituality, such as how close they felt to a higher power and if they felt their lives were part of a divine plan.
He found that the participants with more significant injury to their right parietal lobe showed an increased feeling of closeness to a higher power.
Johnstone says the right side of the brain is associated with self-orientation, whereas the left side is associated with how individuals relate to others, the newspaper added.
- Is there a 'God spot' in the brain? - Apr 20, 2012
- Spiritual experiences rooted in one's brain - Dec 18, 2008
- Brain scans may help early detection of Alzheimer's - Apr 12, 2011
- Obesity linked to sleep loss and food choices - Jun 10, 2012
- Psychopathic behaviour might be linked to frontal lobe dysfunction - Apr 28, 2010
- Lead exposure during childhood 'causes permanent brain damage' - Dec 01, 2009
- Brain changes linked to spirituality - Feb 11, 2010
- Psychopaths lack empathy just like patients with frontal head injury - Jan 26, 2011
- Psychopathy linked to brain damage - Apr 28, 2010
- Chronic brain inflammation 'linked to memory loss in older adults' - Apr 14, 2011
- People with exhaustion syndrome demonstrate impaired memory - Nov 19, 2010
- High BP in women may cause dementia in later life - Jan 16, 2010
- Grey matter size linked to altruism, says study - Jul 12, 2012
- Flu during pregnancy may raise baby's schizophrenia risk - Mar 12, 2010
- Autistic brains 'focus more on visual skills' - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: brain areas, brick, closeness, daily mail, distinct area, divine plan, dynamic concept, frontal lobe, health professions, health psychology, human brain, johnstone, parts of the brain, right parietal lobe, right side of the brain, spiritual experiences, spiritual transcendence, spirituality, traumatic brain injuries, university of missouri