BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill well now “effectively dead”September 20th, 2010 - 12:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, Sept 29 (ANI): British Petroleum (BP) has finally capped the leaking well that has spewed millions of barrels of oil into the Gulf of Mexico.
According to the BBC, a pressure test showed a cement plug put in place by BP to permanently “kill” the well was holding.
The April 20 explosion on the Deepwater Horizon oilrig killed 11 workers and sent an estimated 4.9 million barrels into the Gulf waters.
The top US federal official overseeing the disaster, Coast Guard Adm Thad Allen, said that the well was now “effectively dead”.
“Additional regulatory steps will be undertaken but we can now state definitively that the Macondo Well poses no continuing threat to the Gulf of Mexico,” Adm Allen added.
Meanwhile, US President Barack Obama has hailed the announcement and thanked those who had “worked around the clock to respond to this crisis and ultimately complete this challenging but critical step to ensure that the well has stopped leaking forever”.
The disaster has caused massive environmental damage hundreds of miles off the US coast. It led to BP chief executive Tony Hayward stepping down and the imposition of a moratorium on deepwater offshore drilling. (ANI)
- Disastrous BP oil well finally killed - Sep 20, 2010
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- Seal completed on BP's Gulf of Mexico disaster well - Sep 19, 2010
- BP to pay $7.8 bn to victims of oil spill - Mar 05, 2012
- Deepwater Horizon rig plugged and "effectively dead" - Sep 20, 2010
- Obama extends drilling halt as top-kill stops oil leak - May 28, 2010
- BP must ensure stopping of oil spill - Aug 14, 2010
- Obama to meet BP heads as oil spill continues - Jun 12, 2010
- Leaking US oil well capped; tests to show how effectively - Jul 13, 2010
- Mexico oil slick cap holds 2.4 mn litre daily - Jun 10, 2010
- Obama arrives in Gulf as top-kill effort continues - May 28, 2010
- Obama would have fired BP chief over oil spill - Jun 09, 2010
- BP's top-kill operation temporarily stops oil leak (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- BP oil spill: World's worst accidental release, topples Mexico's 1979 spill - Aug 03, 2010
- BP begins test for last effort to cap oil leak - Jul 15, 2010
Tags: adm, barack obama, british petroleum, cement plug, critical step, dead london, environmental damage, gulf of mexico, gulf of mexico oil, gulf of mexico oil spill, gulf waters, hayward, hundreds of miles, imposition, macondo, moratorium, offshore drilling, oilrig, pressure test, regulatory steps