Boy Scouts fined $1.4 mn in sex abuse caseApril 14th, 2010 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, April 14 (DPA) A jury in Portland, Oregon slapped the Boy Scouts with $1.4 million in damages Tuesday after finding that the organisation was reckless when it failed to oust an assistant scoutmaster who molested one of his charges in the 1980s.
The jury also decided that the movement would be liable for up to $25 million in punitive damages in the case of Kerry Lewis, 38, who filed the charges against the Boy Scouts, the Oregonian reported.
Lewis had charged Boy Scouts with negligently allowing assistant scoutmaster Timur Dykes to continue to work with the boys, even after he admitted to a bishop in the Church of Latter Day Saints that he had molested 17 boy scouts.
The Church was the scout troop’s sponsoring organisation and was ordered to pay 25 percent of the $1.4 million fine.
- Oregon jury awards Kerry Lewis $1.4 million in the Boy Scouts sex-abuse case - Apr 14, 2010
- Boy Scout Abuse Case: Oregon jury awards $18.5 million in punitive damages - Apr 25, 2010
- Boy Scout Gets $18.5M In Punitive Damages In Sexual Abuse Case - Apr 25, 2010
- Oregonian Jury Confers Sentence Of Capital Punishment To A Father-Son Duo For Participation In A Bank Bombing - Dec 23, 2010
- FBI thwarts terrorist bombing attempt at Portland holiday tree lighting - Nov 27, 2010
- 2 Pilferers Detained In Oregon At A Store During A 'Shop With A Cop' Event - Aug 26, 2010
- China blasts dyke to prevent flood - Jul 14, 2010
- Light earthquake rattles Washington state, no damage - Nov 17, 2010
- US Jesuits agree to 166 million dollar sex abuse pay-out - Mar 26, 2011
- Scouts stranded on camping trip rescued - May 04, 2011
- Sanskrit mantras opened 100th anniversary of Scouting event in Nevada - Oct 17, 2010
- Hindu prayer to open 100th anniversary of Scouting event in Nevada - Oct 15, 2010
- Federal Recovery Act funds have produced 5,800 jobs in Oregon this year - Apr 21, 2010
- Male Dials 911 From Hot Bathtub And Requests Hot Chocolate - Sep 02, 2010
- Retired bishop in Oz says some priests do not view child sex as breach of virtue - Apr 25, 2011
Tags: 1980s, april 14, assistant scoutmaster, boy scouts, church of latter day, church of latter day saints, dykes, kerry, latter day saints, oregonian, portland oregon, punitive damages, san francisco, scout troop, sex abuse case