Boy George Returns Church Icon To Cyprus’ Orthodox Christian ChurchJanuary 21st, 2011 - 9:22 pm ICT by GD
By Madhuri Dey
Jan 21, (THAINDIAN NEWS) Bishop Porfyrios feels it is a miracle that the long lost icon of Jesus Christ has come back once again to its actual place. The exquisite painting of the Lord which was stolen from the Orthodox Christian Church several years back has atlast come back to the church after singer Boy George returned it on Thursday. The iconic painting until now was in the possession of the former Culture Club singer who although claims to have no knowledge as to how it got missing.
The icon of Jesus Christ that was stolen years was traced once again after an individual on a television show spotted it at the famous singer’s room. Bishop Porfyrios of Cyprus’ Orthodox Christian Church told the media that the church authorities came to know of the lost painting after an informer told them that he had seen it hanging by the fireplace of Boy George while he was giving an interview on television. Boy George, however, claimed that he had brought the magnificent piece of art from an art dealer back in 1985. The painting had formed a prime part of the singer’s valuable collection of antiques.
The church officials on coming to know of the news contacted the singer, who readily agreed to hand the painting back to the church authorities. Bishop Porfyrios claims that before this entire incident he had no idea who Boy George was. On Thursday the church authorities thanked the singer after he returned the icon back to them. The loss is believed to be an outcome of the Turkish invasion of 1974 when many such pieces of art had got misplaced.
- Russian court bans painting showing Mickey Mouse as Christ - Aug 20, 2011
- Congress attacks CPI-M for using Christ portrait - Feb 03, 2012
- Another Jesus row hits CPI-M - Feb 05, 2012
- Controversy over Jesus Christ needless: Karat - Feb 07, 2012
- With choruka, kanji, Kerala observes Good Friday - Apr 06, 2012
- Capital celebrates Easter with fun, fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Russia dismisses West's Pussy Riot criticism - Aug 23, 2012
- Kerala's church feud - over 100 years and continuing - Oct 12, 2010
- Painting stolen by Nazis recovered, up for sale - Apr 20, 2012
- Kerala celebrates Easter with fervour - Apr 24, 2011
- Ash Wednesday & Lent to begin on the 22nd of February - Feb 21, 2012
- Ruined Jesus Fresco Inspires Online Competition - Aug 31, 2012
- Presence of CPI-M politburo member at church altar kicks up row - Sep 02, 2012
- Kathakali meets Christ: Holy Mass on stage - Jul 17, 2011
- South African pastor sparks outrage with 'Jesus was HIV-positive' claim - Nov 03, 2010
Tags: antiques, art dealer, boy george, church authorities, church icon, church officials, culture club, dey, famous singer, fireplace, jan 21, jesus christ, madhuri, magnificent piece, miracle, orthodox christian church, painting, possession, television show, turkish invasion