Boxer Jitender goes down valiantly to European ChampionAugust 20th, 2008 - 7:22 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 20 (IANS) Belying hopes of an Olympic medal, boxer Jitender Kumar went down fighting to European Champion Georgy Balakshin of Russia 11-15 in the quarterfinals of the flyweight (51kg) category at the Games here Wednesday.Watched by his idol Akhil Kumar, Jitender gave one of the most aggressive performances of his career and even came back into the match after trailing 1-2 in the first round.
The second round was evenly fought and Jitender reduced the margin to 6-7. The third round, however, turned out to be a crucial one for the 20-year-old Indian, who found himself at the receiving end of the Russian’s punches. After the third round, Balakshin took a huge lead of 13-8.
In the last round, Jitender fought valiantly but the Russian, who was enjoying a lead of five points, employed a defensive tactics and finally won the bout to sail into the semifinals.
“Balakshin is a very experienced boxer but Jitender fought very well and it turned out to be a very close match,” said Akhil.
Jitender would have won a medal had he won the bout because both the losing semifinalists are awarded bronze medals in boxing at the Olympics.
- Vijender assures India of another Olympic medal (Boxing, Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- Wrestler Sushil, boxer Vijender concoct a double delight (India lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- Santosh, Jitender win bronze in Kazakh boxing meet - May 14, 2011
- Olympic boxing: Vikas Krishan enters 69 kg quarterfinal - Aug 04, 2012
- Olympic boxing champion Spinks dies at 74 - Apr 28, 2012
- Vijender makes up for Akhil and Jitender's losses (Boxing, Overall Lead) - Aug 20, 2008
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom punches her way into quarters (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Mary Kom, Vijender a win away from medal (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Boxers Jitender, Vijender India's best hopes for Olympic medals (Preview) - Aug 19, 2008
- Indian boxer Devendro in finals of President's Cup - May 06, 2012
- Sangwan loses controversial bout, India lodges complaint (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- CWG Boxing: Vijender moves into semis, Akhil crashes out - Oct 11, 2010