Booze ban tops kids” wish list Down UnderJanuary 12th, 2009 - 6:18 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 12 (ANI): A ban on alcohol has topped the wish list of the kids from a troubled Kimberley town Down Under.
In the survey of more than 100 children, aged 10 to 14, booze ban has topped the wish list, ahead of a local cinema and an international airport.
The kids surveyed wanted alcohol eliminated from their town.
They also wanted to help their parents and other adults to get sober.
“The young people were very clear about what they wanted … they weren”t prompted or given suggestions,” News.com.au quoted O”Meara, facilitator of last year’’s 2020 Youth Summit as saying.
“They spoke of their fears that some in the community would not like them asking for the elimination of alcohol, and they spoke of the impact of alcohol on their lives - I can say they have very real reasons for wanting it to stop,” he added.
O”Meara hopes that the kids request will boost the efforts of the leaders to impose a ban in full-strength on alcohol.
The shire of the town of Halls Creek and business operators are against a total ban.
Matthew O”Sullivan, of the Australian Employment Covenant, said that the children of Halls Creek needed immediate action.
“By all means, look at other solutions such as a card system, but do that after introducing something that we know works (such as) a Fitzroy Crossing-type restriction,” O”Sullivan said.
“Halls Creek needs a circuit breaker to free themselves of the ravages of alcohol abuse and they can”t afford to wait on another trial and another fact-finding trip. Too many young lives are being destroyed to wait.
“We have employers in the Kimberley lining up to give people in Halls Creek a job but they all say: ”Get them sober and ready to work, then I”ll give them a job,”” he added. (ANI)
- Australian priest sacked over child pornography - Aug 25, 2010
- Trucker whose texting caused woman's death jailed - Dec 12, 2011
- Tiger Woods uses cell phone on Augusta greens to help fellow golfer - Apr 07, 2010
- O'Sullivan beats Carter to win fourth world snooker crown - May 08, 2012
- Advani in second round - Aug 10, 2012
- Mark Williams in last 16 of snooker worlds - Apr 27, 2012
- Children can suffer brain damage if left in hot car - Jan 04, 2012
- Tiger Woods' golf kit bereft of any sponsors names - Apr 05, 2010
- O'Sullivan puts one foot in snooker final - May 05, 2012
- O'Sullivan reaches World snooker semis - May 03, 2012
- Carter, O'Sullivan set up second final encounter at snooker - May 06, 2012
- New antibiotic to treat adulterated food - Aug 07, 2011
- Miracle preservative might keep food fresh for years - Aug 15, 2011
- Rep: Halle Berry split from Gabriel Aubry 'some time ago' - May 04, 2010
- World Snooker Champion Ronnie O'Sullivan to appear on 'Strictly Come Dancing'? - Jul 12, 2012
Tags: adults, alcohol abuse, australian employment, booze, business operators, circuit breaker, covenant, facilitator, fears, fitzroy crossing, full strength, halls creek, kimberley town, local cinema, melbourne, news com au, o sullivan, restriction, shire, youth summit