Book claims most Oz men are sexistNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:30 am ICT by admin
It also contains the comments made by Aboriginal Olympic sprinter Cathy Freeman’s former boyfriend Nick Bideau about her, reports the Telegraph.
“I never turned away from Cathy. No matter how fat she was,” the book quotes him as saying.
The tome also carries the remark on the trial of pregnancy that Joe Hockey, a government minister, once made.
“Well, it’s exhausting for me, her being pregnant. I don’t know why, during the birth process they only focus on the women. What about the men standing there? I mean, that’s pretty hard. Well, as long as they get the cricket in the hospital,” he had said.
The newspaper reports the book is the culmination of a tongue-in-cheek contest started in 1993, when a group of women gathered in Sydney to celebrate the retirement of a notoriously sexist trade union official named Ernie.
The gathering gave rise to the annual Ernie Awards, “the world’s premier event shaming men for outrageous sexism”.
Subtitled ‘1,000 terrible things Australian men have said about women’, The Ernies Book features quotes from sportsmen, businessmen, journalists and politicians. It even includes Prime Minister John Howard’s remarks. (ANI)
- Confronting sexism may be 'antidote' for workplace distress - Nov 30, 2010
- Capello backs female officials in football amidst sexism row - Jan 26, 2011
- Witnessing sexism makes women view all men negatively - Mar 19, 2010
- Study explores dangers of 'benevolent sexism' - Jan 21, 2011
- Curious and furious over Goa all-women poll team! - Jan 19, 2012
- Sky Sports football presenter Keys' wife defends his sexist jibes as "boys' banter" - Jan 28, 2011
- Macho Mexican men get lesson in what not to say to women - Mar 25, 2011
- Sky Sports football presenter Richard Keys resigns over role in sexism scandal - Jan 27, 2011
- Miraanda Kerr becomes Qantas face - Jan 14, 2012
- Brazilian sprinters break records in Paralympics - Sep 03, 2012
- Olympics Athletics: Sally Pearson fastest hurdler, reinstated Toufiq triumphs (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Jay Leno slammed over 'sexist' Christine O'Donnell joke - Oct 07, 2010
- Australian PM rescued by riot police during protest - Jan 26, 2012
- Cathy Freeman's first-time pregnancy triggers type-2 diabetes - Feb 07, 2011
- Like Diana, Kate Middleton too may not pledge to 'obey' hubby - Mar 27, 2011
Tags: australian men, australian public, being pregnant, birth process, book features, boyfriend nick, cathy freeman, ernie, government minister, group of women, i don t know, joe hockey, minister john howard, newspaper reports, olympic sprinter, piggery, put downs, quotes, sexist, trade union official