Boob-job biz going bust in Big Apple due to recessionMarch 18th, 2009 - 11:18 am ICT by ANI
New York, Mar 18 (ANI): Cosmetic surgery industry in New York is getting nipped and tucked by the declining economy, show figures.
“We”ve had a dropoff just because of the economic environment,” The New York Daily News quoted Manhattan cosmetic surgeon Lawrence Milgrim, as saying.
“Some of the larger procedures have dropped off more than some of the smaller procedures. I think today the gestalt is, ”Don”t change me, just make me look better than I am now,”” he added.
According to a study, cosmetic surgical procedures have dipped 15 percent in the past year, and nonsurgical procedures are down 12 percent.
As per the survey by American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, breast augmentations, which cost up to 4,000 dollars, fell from nearly 400,000 in 2007 to 355,671 last year.
Tummy tucks were down by 37,943 cases, while the number of eyelid surgeries was off by 45,659.
Infact, Botox injections dropped from 2.7 million in 2007 to 2.4 million last year. Overall, the number of cosmetic surgeries in the U.S. has fallen from a high of 11.8 million in 2004 to 10.2 million last year.
However, laser skin resurfacings, which range from 1,100 dollars to 2,000 dollars, jumped 12 percent.
Milgrim said the resurfacing procedures have helped him offset his losses.
“You can actually have recovery within three to seven days after the procedure,” said Milgrim, explaining that improvements in lasers and the training of surgeons have also made resurfacing procedures more popular. (ANI)
- Boob job 'most popular cosmetic surgery procedure' - Mar 27, 2011
- First day, first show: Freshers spruce up with cosmetic treatments - Jul 21, 2012
- More men going under the knife to look good - Mar 21, 2011
- Recession hurts US plastic surgery industry - Apr 28, 2010
- More men in US undergoing plastic surgery to 'look good' - Mar 21, 2011
- Surgeons weigh in on Demi Moore's 'youthful' looks - Apr 17, 2010
- Growing number of Malaysian men turning to cosmetic surgery - Aug 22, 2010
- Tummy tuck patient in Lyon, France discovers scissors in her stomach - Feb 16, 2011
- Australians spend about $1bn annually on cosmetic procedures - Mar 31, 2011
- Meet the US woman who has spent $100K on 52 cosmetic procedures! - Apr 06, 2011
- Number of teens going for plastic surgery in Singapore on the - Jan 30, 2011
- Now, a robotic way to hassle-free surgeries - May 21, 2012
- US teenagers get 12,000 botox jabs in a year - Aug 13, 2010
- Moms' latest fad- the boob-lift, tummy-tuck "mommy makeover" - May 03, 2011
- Lips to nose, cosmetic packages boom for Valentine's Day - Feb 07, 2012
Tags: aesthetic plastic surgery, american society for aesthetic plastic surgery, botox, botox injections, breast augmentations, cosmetic surgeon, cosmetic surgeries, cosmetic surgery industry, cosmetic surgical procedures, declining economy, economic environment, gestalt, laser skin, lasers, manhattan cosmetic, milgrim, new york daily news, nonsurgical procedures, plastic surgery breast, york daily news