Bond gave inspiration to real-life US agents, says bookMay 7th, 2009 - 2:32 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 7 (ANI): Fictional spy James Bond and his array of clever gadgets inspired many real-life US agents, reveals a new book.
The MI6 hero along with his breathtaking devices helped the Central Intelligence Agency develop many tricks of its own in the 1960s.
In fact, they allowed agents to operate more freely, eavesdrop on foes and influenced the Cold War with the Soviets.
Bond was backed up by gizmo-master Q, who was always experimenting with new inventions.
Q, played by Desmond Llewelyn, dreamed up “impossible” things like bullet-firing pens and GPS systems, reports The Sun.
Now, author Robert Wallace, in Spycraft, has disclosed that CIA bosses would watch each new movie and ask if the things shown in it could not be done for real.
Wallace, ex-head of the CIA’s Office of Technical Service, says: “A respected designer of equipment said Bond was an inspiration. When new fictional devices were depicted the question would be, ‘Are you sure we can’t do that?’
“Often Q gave Bond a device requiring technology not yet available such as GPS tracking, which was impossible in the real world in the 1960s.” (ANI)
- Ben Whishaw to play Q in next Bond film - Jul 14, 2012
- Sanjay Gupta gets nod for character names in '...Wadala' - Dec 21, 2011
- Colombian court quashes lawsuit against Garcia Marquez - Dec 01, 2011
- Raymond Davis was CIA agent deployed in Pak 'beyond shadow of doubt': Intelligence - Feb 21, 2011
- Naomi Watts hopes new movie will expose Americans to ex-CIA agent's life - Nov 02, 2010
- 'Agent Vinod' is complete Indian hero: Saif - Jan 26, 2012
- Jolie met real secret agents for 'Salt' - Jul 14, 2010
- Fleming 'based Goldfinger on real-life plot against Bank of England by German spymaster' - Jul 05, 2009
- Pattinson not in 'The Hunger Games' sequel - May 28, 2012
- Naomi Watts values honesty - Feb 25, 2011
- Jolie wants real-life lady spy at Moscow premiere of 'Salt' - Jul 16, 2010
- When Angelina Jolie discovered the world of women spies - Jul 19, 2010
- GPS devices on kerosene tankers to check pilferage - Sep 09, 2011
- Bionic implants melding man and machine - Nov 08, 2010
- James Bond 'based on real life MI6 special agent' - Sep 22, 2010
Tags: 1960s, array, author robert, book london, central intelligence agency, cold war, desmond llewelyn, foes, gadgets, gizmo, gps systems, impossible things, inspiration, james bond, new inventions, pens, real world, robert wallace, soviets, spycraft