Bomb strapped to horse wounds two Colombian soldiersJuly 12th, 2011 - 11:23 am ICT by IANS
Bogota, July 12 (IANS/EFE) Two soldiers were wounded when suspected members of the leftist FARC guerrilla group set off a bomb planted on a horse in a jungle area in southern Colombia, officials said.
The bomb exploded while the soldiers were on patrol Sunday in Las Damas, a rural area outside the city of Cartagena del Chaira.
The soldiers were hit by shrapnel from the bomb planted on the horse by Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, guerrillas, Caqueta province government secretary Edilberto Ramon Endo said.
Members of the FARC’s Patino Company staged the attack on the soldiers, Endo said.
Bad weather delayed the evacuation of the wounded soldiers.
The FARC staged a series of attacks over the weekend in Cauca, a province in southwestern Colombia, killing six people and wounding 60 others.
The FARC, Colombia’s oldest and largest leftist guerrilla group, was founded in 1964, has an estimated 8,000 fighters and operates across a large swath of this Andean nation.
The Colombian government has made fighting the FARC a top priority and has obtained billions in US aid for counterinsurgency operations.
The FARC is on both the US and EU lists of terrorist groups. Drug trafficking, extortion and kidnapping-for-ransom are the FARC’s main means of financing its operations.
- Guerrillas use dead body in attack in Colombia - Dec 08, 2011
- Colombian rebels say they are holding French reporter - May 07, 2012
- Two Colombian rebels killed by their own bomb - Jun 08, 2012
- Colombian rebels set condition for freeing French reporter - May 08, 2012
- Colombian rebels say they're holding French reporter - May 02, 2012
- Kidnapped Colombian politician found dead - Dec 23, 2009
- Colombian rebel, presumed dead, appears in TV interview - Aug 02, 2012
- Eight miners killed in Colombia - Apr 09, 2010
- Colombia's FARC rules out surrender - Apr 20, 2012
- FARC rebels release French reporter - May 31, 2012
- 2,000 land mines found in Colombia in 2011 - Sep 19, 2011
- Colombia's FARC frees 10 captives - Apr 03, 2012
- 13 Colombian rebels killed in airstrike - Nov 16, 2010
- Five shot dead in Colombian bar - Jul 02, 2012
- 10 rebels captured in Colombia - Feb 10, 2010
Tags: andean nation, bad weather, caqueta, colombian government, colombian soldiers, counterinsurgency operations, drug trafficking, endo, farc, farc colombia, government secretary, guerrilla group, jungle area, patino, province government, revolutionary armed forces of colombia, southern colombia, top priority, two soldiers, wounded soldiers