Bolt and Isinbayeva are World Athletes of the YearNovember 24th, 2008 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Monte Carlo, Nov 24 (DPA) Jamaican sprint sensation Usain Bolt and Russian pole vault queen Yelena Isinbayeva were named World Athletes of the Year by the governing athletics body International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF).Bolt and Isinbayeva received $100,000 dollars each for the award at an gala night here Sunday.
Bolt, 22, became the first man to win three Olympic sprint golds with world records in each final at the Beijing games in August, 9.69 seconds for the 100m, 19.30 in the 200m and 37.10 in the 4×100m relay.
Bolt, who earlier in the year had bettered the 100m record to 9.72 seconds, won the poll conducted among the IAAF family and the public.
“It is an honour for me. I have worked long and hard for this,” Bolt said.
The sprinter said he could give no forecasts for 2009 “but I know what I have to do to be good.”
Isinbayeva won the women’s award for the third time in her career, following 2004 and 2005. The 26-year-old got her second Olympic gold in Beijing with 5.05m, her third world record of the year and 24th overall.
“This is worth more to me than the previous awards because I had difficult years in 2006 and 2007,” she said.
Isinbayeva will not compete in the indoor European championships in Turin but says she intends to compete at least until the 2012 Olympics.
“I want to go out with a height that is unbeatable for 100 years,” she said, with her sights set on a possible 5.20m.
“Life is boring without records,” she said.
- Isinbayeva eyes gold in 2016 Olympics - Aug 18, 2012
- Pole vaulter Isinbayeva wins French meet - Jul 11, 2012
- Fit-again Bolt admits to past back injury - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Isinbayeva '90 percent ready' for Olympics - Jun 30, 2012
- Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year - Nov 13, 2011
- Olympics: Jamaica win relay in new WR (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Isinbayeva targets last Olympic gold before retirement - Apr 18, 2012
- Greene discounts world record by Bolt in London - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Isinbayeva confident ahead of pole vault final - Aug 04, 2012
- James, Bolt in running for World Athlete of the Year award - Oct 04, 2011
- Bolt says 18 seconds a possibility for 200m - Jun 08, 2012
- Bolt, Blake make shortlist for Athlete-of-the-Year award - Nov 05, 2011
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Olympics: Suhr soars over Isinbayeva, China still on top (World Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012