Bollywood plans film on murdered British teenager, mother afraidMay 3rd, 2008 - 6:52 pm ICT by admin
London, May 3 (IANS) Bollywood director Prabhakar Shukla is planning to make a film about British teenager Scarlette Keeling, whose rape and murder in Goa this year became a global story, a newspaper reported Saturday. The bruised and semi-naked body of Keeling, a 15-year-old girl who was holidaying in Goa with her family, was found on the Anjuna beach on Feb 18. An initial ruling of accidental death prompted her mother Fiona MacKeown to call for a second autopsy.
Her allegations of a nexus between drug barons, politicians and the police in Goa were denied by the local administration but highlighted lapses in investigation.
The second autopsy returned a verdict of rape and murder. A third post-mortem conducted in Britain showed that Indian doctors had removed Scarlette’s kidneys, stomach and uterus without informing Mackeown.
Shukla told The Times newspaper that he would start filming ‘Rave Party’ in Goa in July and had already approached Katrina Kaif, a Bollywood actress who was brought up in London, to play the teenager.
“The whole film is against drug abuse and the exploitation of tourists,” said Shukla, whose last production “Kahani Gudiya Ki” (Story of a Little Doll) was released in 2007. It was based on the true story of an Indian prisoner of war in Pakistan.
“Not just in India, but all around the world, real-life cinema is attracting curiosity. Film should be a mirror for society and people should get some inspiration or precaution from it,” Shukla told the paper.
He had not yet contacted Scarlette’s mother, but said he hoped to meet her in Britain next month, adding: “I have great sympathy for her”.
But MacKeown said she had reservations about the proposed film, which she feared would portray Scarlette in a bad light, rather than her killers and the police who tried to cover their tracks.
“I’d like to know how they’re going to portray it, or I won’t approve it,” she told The Times. “I’m not sure about calling it ‘Rave Party’. Scarlette was not at a party. She was raped and murdered on the beach.”
- Scarlett case: Mother says trial could help other tourist victims seek justice - Jul 31, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's killers 'gave her drugs', claims her mother - Aug 03, 2010
- Murdered Scarlett Keeling's mum to appear at the trial of accused - Jul 30, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's mother fears being murdered by Goa "drugs nexus" - Aug 03, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling's mother charged with benefit fraud: report - Nov 19, 2009
- Murdered Brit teen Scarlett Keeling's mum admits to benefit fraud - Mar 20, 2010
- Scarlett Keeling murder retold on 'Anjuna Beach' - Jul 02, 2011
- Scarletts Email claims attempted gang rape before murder - Feb 09, 2009
- I don't know if there will be justice: Fiona Mackeown - Apr 19, 2010
- 'Bid was made to gang rape Scarlett days before death' - Feb 08, 2009
- Keeling lawyer says Goa police, drug lords in cahoots - Apr 05, 2010
- I know my daughter's killer: Scarlett's mother - May 05, 2008
- Scarlett's character being maligned: Fiona - Aug 02, 2010
- Goa home minister, son linked to drug mafia: Scarlett's mother - Aug 02, 2010
- Scarlett Keelings mom says Goa police destroyed her daughters internal organs - Jan 27, 2009
Tags: accidental death, anjuna beach, autopsy, bollywood actress, british teenager, drug barons, global story, goa, indian doctors, katrina kaif, kidneys, lapses, little doll, local administration, naked body, old girl, post mortem, precaution, prisoner of war, shukla