Bolivia to distribute land to indigenous IndiansDecember 3rd, 2008 - 4:02 pm ICT by IANS
La Paz (Bolivia), Dec 3 (IANS) The Bolivian government will buy land for distribution among members of indigenous Indian communities living in virtual serfdom, EFE reported Wednesday.Juan Carlos Rojas, chief of the National Institute for Agrarian Reform, told reporters Tuesday that the measure would benefit the indigenous communities in the eastern and southern provinces of Santa Cruz, Chuquisaca and Tarija.
Bolivia’s indigenous Indian communities live in appalling indigence with little access to education or health care.
The Inter-American Commission on Human Rights had pointed out in its report in June that the Guarani Indians in Chaco area are living under “a situation of servitude analogous to slavery.”
Rojas said the government’s land distribution plan would also address the indigenous communities’ education and health care problems.
The government’s agrarian reform has encountered violent opposition in Santa Cruz, Chuquisaca and Tarija, where land barons remain opposed to the idea of breaking up individual holdings - some comprising nearly one million acres - to provide plots for landless peasants.
According to figures compiled by the United Nations, Bolivia’s richest 100 rural families hold five times as much acreage as two million poor peasants.
- Bolivia to invest nearly $125 mn in power projects - Mar 18, 2010
- Bolivia pursues hydro-power deal with China - Jul 30, 2012
- Bolivian president enacts new constitution - Feb 08, 2009
- 'Jindal's steel and power project will transform Bolivia' - Jun 16, 2011
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
- Chinese to train Bolivians how to operate satellites - Apr 04, 2010
- Three brothers lynched, buried alive for witchcraft - Oct 03, 2010
- 20 killed in Bolivia accident - Apr 20, 2012
- Cold wave kills six million fish in Bolivia - Aug 04, 2010
- Jindal to export 1 mn tonnes of Bolivian iron ore in 2011 - Jan 21, 2011
- Spanish energy firm to invest $640 mn in Bolivia - Nov 24, 2011
- 28 dead, 10 injured in bus accident in southern Bolivia - Jun 28, 2011
- Bolivia cancels mining concession - Aug 03, 2012
- Remains of Bolivian pilot found frozen and intact 20 years later - Nov 10, 2010
- Bolivian army to sell bread to prevent shortages - Jan 01, 2011