Bolivia seizes controlling stake in pipeline companyJune 3rd, 2008 - 7:14 pm ICT by IANS
La Paz, June 3 (IANS) Bolivian President Evo Morales has expropriated US-based company Ashmore’s 50 percent stake in gas pipeline company Transredes, which transports Bolivia’s natural gas to neighbouring Brazil and Argentina, EFE reported Tuesday. Morales signed a decree Monday nationalizing all assets of Transredes, saying the foreign companies that owned half of it had been too slow in negotiating.
The leftist leader, who was accompanied by Cabinet ministers and the military brass during the take-over ceremony at Transredes headquarters in the eastern city of Santa Cruz, defended the government’s action as part of the “struggle of the Bolivian people” to “take back their natural resources”.
He also said that his government was giving guarantees to the companies that decide “to invest and recover their investment” as long as they “respect Bolivian regulations”.
“Partners are welcome, but we don’t accept bosses,” the leftist president said.
Morales on May 1 issued a decree nationalizing Transredes, Compa
- Bolivia nationalises Spanish-owned firm - May 02, 2012
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
- Spanish energy firm to invest $640 mn in Bolivia - Nov 24, 2011
- Bolivia pursues hydro-power deal with China - Jul 30, 2012
- Bolivia plans $1.73 bn in energy investments in 2011 - Dec 27, 2010
- Bolivia, Argentina sign revised natural gas deal - Mar 28, 2010
- Bolivia to invest $40 mn in new gas pipeline to Argentina - Mar 25, 2010
- Bolivia cancels mining concession - Aug 03, 2012
- Jindal to export 1 mn tonnes of Bolivian iron ore in 2011 - Jan 21, 2011
- Indian company to produce gas in Bolivia - Apr 25, 2009
- Bolivia nationalises four power companies - May 02, 2010
- Bolivia fines Chinese telecom supplier for breach of contract - Dec 23, 2010
- Bolivia to buy satellite from Chinese firm - Dec 14, 2010
- Bolivia to invest nearly $125 mn in power projects - Mar 18, 2010
- Bolivian army to sell bread to prevent shortages - Jan 01, 2011
Tags: andina, bolivian president, cabinet ministers, city of santa cruz, efe, energy firm, evo morales, gas pipeline company, hidrocarburos, june 3, military brass, nationalization, natural gas, neighbouring, new boss, president evo morales, private companies, repsol, state oil company, transredes