Bodyguards only memory of crash is Dis voice calling out to Dodi

January 24th, 2008 - 1:49 pm ICT by admin  

A file-photo of Princess Diana

London, Jan 24 (ANI): Trevor Rees, the sole survivor of the crash that killed the royal, her boyfriend Dodi Al Fayed and driver Henri Paul, has told the inquest into their deaths that the only thing he remembers of the crash, is Di calling out for her beau.

Rees, who was Dodis personal bodyguard, told the inquest into the couples death that he heart a womans voice moaning and saying Dodi in the aftermath of the crash.

Rees, who was at the time known as Trevor Rees-Jones, told the jury that the voice was one of the two things he remembered from the 1997 crash, the other being a vague recollection of a motorbike that pulled up alongside the Mercedes carrying the couple when it halted at traffic lights.

However, he also revealed that psychiatrists had advised him that these may be “false memories”.

“I have a memory of stopping at traffic lights and seeing a motorcycle on the right hand side of the car. I’m not sure about the other vehicles but I can remember this motorcycle very clearly,” the Telegraph quoted him, as saying.

“My memory then is of total confusion. I don’t remember the pain but in my head there was a lot of confusion.

“I don’t remember if someone was holding me or attempting to give me treatment.

“I remember having heard somebody moaning and the name Dodi was uttered but I don’t know who said it. On the other hand if there was no-one else there apart from us, I conclude that it was Princess Diana as it was a female voice.

“These memories are vague and I myself doubt them but I’m mentioning them as these memories are coming back to me repeatedly.”

He also denied claims by Dodi Fayed’s father Mohamed Fayed that he is lying about how much he remembers about the crash or that he was “suppressing the truth”.

“I am not part of a conspiracy to suppress the truth at all. All I have ever done is give the truth as I see it,” Mr Rees said.

During his time before the jury, he revealed that he had not been happy with Dodis plan to leave the Ritz via a rear entrance, with Henri Paul driving so as to avoid the waiting media.

“I wasn’t happy as it meant Dodi would be splitting the security officers, but I went along with it. I advised Dodi that we could leave from the front of the hotel in two vehicles as the crowd and the press would be pushed back across the road at the front of the hotel,” he said.

“Initially I had been told that Dodi and Diana would travel without security and I said this would not happen, that I would travel in the vehicle with them.”

He also denied claims by Mohammed Fayed that Dodi has picked out an engagement ring for Diana during a trip to Monte Carlo just a week before the fatal crash.

When Ian Burnett QC, counsel to the inquest, asked him if the visit to the Repossi jewellery shop in Monte Carlo had taken place, Rees replied: “No Sir, it did not.”

The inquest into the couples death continues. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe