Bodyguard says he saw Hitler first after his suicideJanuary 22nd, 2009 - 1:56 pm ICT by ANI
Berlin (Germany), Jan.22 (ANI): A former bodyguard of Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler has claimed that he was the first man to see Hitlers body after the latter committed suicide in a bunker below Berlin.
A doddery old man now whose once ramrod-straight back is stooped and whose hair is a snowy white, 91-year-old Rochus Misch told The Sun that he saw Hitlers body shortly after the Fuhrer blasted a bullet into his own head.
Born in Opole, Poland, Misch joined a combat division of the fanatical SS elite guard aged 20 in 1937. Wounded during the conquest of Poland in 1939, he was transferred to Hitlers elite personal bodyguard, the 1st SS Division Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler.
Hitler was my Fuhrer like everyone elses, and I was in awe of him. I found him correct charming even.
As the Third Reich crumbled, Misch says Hitler retreated to a cluster of small rooms 40ft underground in Berlin.
On April 22, 1945, Hitler said: The war is lost. No one is obliged to do anything any more. Misch says that the following day, shortly after 3 p.m., Hitler left his final followers and entered a private room with Braun. Misch said they waited around 45 minutes for the shot. Alongside other soldiers left in the bunker, he then opened the door.
He says: I saw Hitler slumped by the table. I did not see any blood on his head. And I saw Eva with her knees drawn up, lying next to him on the sofa.
Hitler was wrapped in a blanket as I watched. He was then taken outside to be burnt. It was over.
Misch was captured by the Red Army and sent to Moscow, where he was questioned and tortured. After eight years in prison camps he returned to Berlin in 1953. Today, Misch, who was never indicted for war crimes, lives in the same two-storey detached house where he moved with his late wife Gerda in 1942. (ANI)
- Hitler's last surviving bodyguard stops replying to fan mail - Jan 28, 2011
- FBI believed Hitler 'faked his own death with a bogus suicide' in 1945 - Apr 10, 2011
- Hitler's Viagra made from semen, young bulls - Feb 06, 2010
- Hitler 'poisoned himself with cyanide' - May 08, 2010
- Germany's first Hitler exhibition seeks to break age-old taboos - Oct 13, 2010
- Hitler had son with French teen - Feb 18, 2012
- Hitler once worshipped as Vishnu in elite Kolkata homes: Historian - Jun 07, 2010
- Bollywood's Hitler biopic with Indian twist - Jun 09, 2010
- The mutt who mimicked the Nazi salute and mocked Hitler - Jan 08, 2011
- Hitler once spared the life of a Jew - his ex-officer - Jul 06, 2012
- Hitler's bedsheets up for auction - Nov 25, 2011
- A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi Germany (Lead) - Jun 08, 2010
- Remains of Hitler's deputy to be destroyed - Jul 21, 2011
- 'Dear Uncle Adolf': documentary details fan letters sent to Hitler - Apr 26, 2010
- A Bollywood first - film about Hitler and Nazi Germany - Jun 08, 2010
Tags: adolf hitler, berlin germany, combat division, committed suicide, detached house, elite guard, fuhrer, hitlers body, leibstandarte ss adolf hitler, nazi dictator, opole poland, personal bodyguard, prison camps, private room, red army, rochus, ss division, third reich, war crimes, wife gerda