Body lay undiscovered under sofa in Bristol flat for 10 years!April 21st, 2010 - 5:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 21 (ANI): According to an enquiry, a body lay undiscovered beneath a sofa in a flat in Bristol for almost 10 years.
The deceased, 73-year-old Denis Pring, had been living with a city council tenant Alan Derrick, who has learning difficulties.
Fearing that the police would take him away, Derrick did not report to the authorities about the death.
The medical examiner registered an open judgment into the death of Pring at the court’s hearing in Flax Bourton, near Bristol.
Pring, who is assumed to have died between April and June 1998, was a former warehouseman. According to the inquiry, he had been living illegally in the flat, reports The Telegraph.
He died when Derrick had invited him to stay at his place because he had no other shelter. But Derrick panicked due to his sudden death.
He then hid the body with cushions and two armchairs and kept living in the same flat in Bedminster, Bristol for the coming ten years.
Council officers visited Derrick’s house twice when neighbours complained of foul smell but Pring’s body was never found. They believed that the foul smell came from the toilet.
His skeleton was found in January 2008 when cleaners were sent to Derrick’s house after he was forced out of the house on the orders of a county court.
Jon House, Deputy Chief Executive of the council said, “more active intervention nine or 10 years ago”, and a ” healthier dose of common sense”, might have led to Pring’s body being found earlier.
“I apologise unreservedly both to Mr Pring’s family and to the residents of neighbouring homes for the distress they have endured,” House added. (ANI)
- Dead Body Under A Sofa Found After 10 Years - Apr 24, 2010
- Body Found Under Sofa, After Ten Years - Apr 24, 2010
- Man kept girlfriend's corpse on sofa for 10 months - Jun 03, 2010
- Retired professor found dead in Lucknow - Dec 30, 2010
- Man hid aunt's corpse to collect her pension - Jun 16, 2012
- Elderly couple found dead in Delhi - May 28, 2011
- Delhi housewife found murdered, husband missing - Apr 23, 2012
- Complainant found to be killer - Jun 08, 2011
- Elderly parents, two sons found dead in Pune - Mar 24, 2011
- Delhi student found dead at friend's house - Jul 02, 2012
- Death of Indian engineer in US being probed - Apr 25, 2012
- Garment manufacturer murdered in Delhi - May 28, 2011
- Mother kills daughter, commits suicide - Jul 04, 2011
- Murdered Nepali woman's body found in tank - Jul 26, 2011
- Fiza Mohammed found (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: armchairs, bedminster bristol, common sense, council tenant, cushions, denis, deputy chief executive, derrick, enquiry, flax, flax bourton, foul smell, learning difficulties, medical examiner, neighbours, pring, skeleton, sofa, sudden death, warehouseman