Bodies of Turkish pilots killed in Syria shooting foundJuly 5th, 2012 - 5:40 am ICT by IANS
Istanbul, July 4 (IANS) The Turkish military authorities said Wednesday that they have found bodies of the two pilots of the fighter jet shot down by Syria nearly two weeks ago.
The bodies of Capt. Gokhan Ertan and Lt. Hasan Huseyin Aksoy were found on the sea floor, Xinhua quoted the Turkish military saying in a statement.
The US deep-sea exploration vessel E/V Nautilus found the bodies in the eastern Mediterranean, Turkish state TV reported.
Ertan and Aksoy had been missing since their plane was shot down by Syria June 22.
Turkey claims the plane was shot in international airspace by a heat-seeking or laser-guided missile. But Syria rejects the claim, saying the Turkish jet was shot as it flew at an altitude of 100 metres within the Syrian airspace.
The incident has caused tensions between the two countries.
The Turkish army altered its rules of engagement regarding Syrian military targets after the downing of the jet.
Any Syrian military vessel approaching the Turkish border will be considered a “threat,” said Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan at a meeting June 26. The country deployed missile batteries, tanks and troops to its border with Syria last week. Dozens of military vehicles headed for the border in a convoy that included air defence systems.
Meanwhile, Syrian President Bashar Al-Assad has said his country will work hard to avoid confrontation with Turkey, stressing that his country did not know the identity of the Turkish aircraft before downing it last month.
“The Syrian side had no knowledge of the identity of the aircraft before downing it,” he claimed in an interview with the Turkish daily Cumhuriyet.
- No hostility for Turkey: Syria (Lead) - Jun 24, 2012
- Wreckage of downed Turkish plane located - Jun 25, 2012
- Turkey denies fighter jet shot down by Syria - Jul 14, 2012
- Syria fires at another Turkish jet - Jun 26, 2012
- Syria admits shooting down Turkish warplane - Jun 23, 2012
- 30 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jun 25, 2012
- Turkey to do whatever needed over jet incident - Jun 24, 2012
- Russia urges Syria, Turkey against clash - Jun 27, 2012
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- Fighter jet crashes in central Turkey, killing pilot - Mar 14, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- Turkey finds nothing illegal in detained Iran cargo plane - Mar 17, 2011
- Turkish army holds drills on Syria border - Aug 02, 2012
- Turkish military plane crashes in Mediterranean - Jun 22, 2012
- Syrian rebels shoot down MiG - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: air defence systems, bashar al assad, deep sea exploration, eastern mediterranean, exploration vessel, gokhan, hasan huseyin, international airspace, laser guided missile, military targets, military vessel, missile batteries, prime minister recep tayyip erdogan, recep tayyip erdogan, syrian president bashar al, syrian side, turkish aircraft, turkish army, turkish military authorities, turkish pilots