Bobby Jindal becomes first Indian-origin US Gov.November 14th, 2007 - 2:36 am ICT by admin
Jindal has become the state’s first non-white governor since Reconstruction and the nation’s youngest governor in office upon taking oath in January.
“My mom and dad came to this country in pursuit of the American Dream, and guess what happened? They found the American Dream to be alive and well right here in Louisiana,” a foreign news agency quoted Jindal as saying in his victory speech.
The race for the post of the Governor is said to be one of the highest spending in Louisiana’s history.
Jindal alone raised 11 million dollars, and Georges poured about 10 million dollars of his personal wealth into his campaign, while Boasso spent around five million dollars.
Incidentally, in 2003, Jindal garnered 48 per cent of the vote, but still lost to Democrat Kathleen Blanco. Blanco ended her re-election bid earlier this year after being sharply criticised for sluggish response to Hurricane Katrina in 2005. (ANI)
- Relatives celebrate election of Bobby Jindal as first Indian-origin US Governor - Nov 14, 2007
- As hurricane hits home, Bobby Jindal takes charge - Aug 29, 2012
- Jindal congratulated by Bush - Nov 14, 2007
- Bobby Jindal files for re-election - Sep 07, 2011
- Nikki slams Obama as Romney clinches nomination - Aug 29, 2012
- Indian-American Nikki Haley set to become South Carolina governor - Jan 12, 2011
- Bobby Jindal's support base grows - Sep 02, 2011
- Indian-Americans get prime spots at US presidential conventions - Aug 21, 2012
- Indian-American Nikki Haley is South Carolina governor (Lead) - Jan 13, 2011
- Bobby Jindal skips Republican convention as storm looms - Aug 28, 2012
- Indian American Nikki Haley will be South Carolina governor - Nov 03, 2010
- Bobby Jindal blasts Obama, helps Romney - Jul 17, 2012
- Obama assures hurricane hit Louisiana of federal help - Sep 04, 2012
- US Senate polls: Democratic outsource attack alienating Indian American vote bank - Oct 24, 2010
- Bobby Jindal defends Romney on offshore investments - Jul 09, 2012
Tags: alive and well, american dream, blanco blanco, bobby jindal, criticised, democrat foster, foreign news, garnered, guess, hurricane katrina, incidentally, indian immigrants, indian origin, million dollars, mom and dad, news agency, personal wealth, sluggish response, victory speech, walter boasso