Bob Kennedy’s son to run for Obama’s Illinois Senate seatMay 21st, 2009 - 5:37 pm ICT by ANI
Chicago (US), May 21 (ANI): Chris Kennedy, the son of the late Robert F. Kennedy, will run for the Illinois Senate seat that was once occupied by President Barack Obama.
Kennedy’s pollster John Anzalone confirmed to Politico that Kennedy will soon be entering the race, joining a Democratic primary against state Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias and, possibly, Sen. Roland Burris (D-Ill.).
For his part, Kennedy told Lynn Sweet Tuesday night: “I’m keeping my options alive and working through a whole series of issues still.”
Kennedy is the president of the real estate firm Merchandise Mart Properties, and has the resources to at least partially self-finance a campaign.
A Giannoulias-Kennedy primary would be one of the most closely watched in the country, with two powerful names and fundraisers clashing against each other.
According to the Chicago Sun, Kennedy’s decision to run also suggests that Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan won’t be running for the Senate, and instead has her eyes on the governor’s race. The only way Madigan would change her plans to run for governor is if Democrats cleared the primary field for her, and Kennedy’s entrance rules that possibility out. (ANI)
- Tickets to mingle with Michelle Obama outprice President Obama - Oct 11, 2010
- Democratic Party likely to retain control of US Senate - Nov 03, 2010
- Alexi Giannoulias & Mark Kirk Will Run For Illinois Senate Race - Feb 03, 2010
- Defiant Illinois governor names pick for Obama seat - Dec 31, 2008
- Clinton says reports of Democrats demise exaggerated - Oct 27, 2010
- Obama's Democrats lose House, hold on to Senate (Third Lead) - Nov 03, 2010
- Democrats lose House, cling to Senate, Nikki Haley wins (Roundup) - Nov 03, 2010
- Senator in Obama's vacated seat says he was asked for donations - Feb 15, 2009
- I could beat Obama if he ran for Illinois Governor: GOP nominee - Jun 17, 2010
- Romney, Santorum face showdown in Obama's home state - Mar 20, 2012
- Tainted Blagojevich stuns all by naming ex-Illinois AG to replace Obama in Senate - Dec 31, 2008
- Former Illinois governor pleads not guilty - Apr 15, 2009
- Indian American fundraiser for jailed governor arrested - Jun 21, 2012
- Romney scores decisive win in Illinois primary - Mar 21, 2012
- Indian-American fundraiser under US scanner - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: attorney general lisa madigan, barack obama, bob kennedy, chicago sun, chris kennedy, democratic primary, fundraisers, illinois attorney general, illinois attorney general lisa madigan, illinois senate, john anzalone, merchandise mart, pollster john, powerful names, robert f kennedy, roland burris, senate seat, state treasurer alexi giannoulias, sweet tuesday, tuesday night