Boat carrying escaping refugees sinks off Indonesia, 3 deadJanuary 15th, 2009 - 3:31 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Jan 15 (DPA) A Pakistani and two Afghan refugees were killed after a boat carrying 18 Australia-bound asylum seekers who escaped an Indonesian immigration detention centre sank off eastern Indonesia, the police said Thursday.Nine people survived after the boat capsized in the Pakuafu Strait off Rote island in East Nusa Tenggara province Wednesday, said provincial police spokesman Octo Riwu.
Six other asylum seekers and three members of the boat’s crew remained missing, he said.
The 18 foreign nationals from Afghanistan, Pakistan and Myanmar escaped from the immigration detention centre in the provincial capital Kupang Wednesday after overpowering guards and fled in a car which appeared to have been waiting for them, the police said.
“We are investigating the possible involvement of a local people-smuggling ring in the escape,” Riwu said by telephone.
“We are still unable to question the survivors because they are still sick,” he said.
The escapees were among 33 foreigners arrested late last year for entering Indonesia illegally on the way to Australia.
Indonesia has long been used as a transit point for foreigners seeking asylum in Australia.
- Sri Lanka navy arrests 54 Australia-bound asylum seekers - Sep 06, 2012
- Boat with 200 asylum seekers capsizes off Australia - Jun 21, 2012
- Australia says boat carrying 67 asylum seekers is missing - Aug 15, 2012
- 30 missing in Indonesia boat accident - Oct 22, 2010
- Indonesia rescues 120 asylum seekers who refuse to disembark - Apr 10, 2012
- 12 missing in Indonesia boat accident (Lead) - Oct 22, 2010
- Australia intercepts boats carrying more than 300 asylum seekers - May 07, 2012
- Seven kids among dead in Australia boat capsize (Lead) - Dec 16, 2010
- Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to Australia - May 28, 2012
- 232 Sri Lankans held while illegally migrating - Jul 16, 2012
- 43 hurt as quake shakes Bali - Oct 13, 2011
- Sri Lankan Navy arrests Australia-bound asylum seekers - Aug 20, 2012
- Kids cry for help as 27 die in Australia boat capsize (Second Lead) - Dec 15, 2010
- Tamil refugees challenge Oz security intelligence ruling - Oct 02, 2010
- Indonesian jailed for preaching jehad - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: afghan refugees, afghanistan pakistan, asylum seekers, australia, east nusa tenggara, eastern indonesia, escapees, foreign nationals, foreigners, immigration detention centre, jakarta, myanmar, police said thursday, police spokesman, provincial capital, provincial police, seeking asylum, survivors, transit point