Blood bath in Mexico bar: eight dead, 19 injuredMay 17th, 2010 - 5:09 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, May 17 (DPA) Armed attackers shot their way into a bar in the city of Torreon, killing eight people and injuring another 19, according to media reports Sunday.
Ten of the injured are in critical condition, officials said.
The attackers first attacked the bar from the outside early Saturday morning, then opened fire on customers. Two of the victims were security guards.
In other weekend violence, the bodies of four beheaded victims were found in Durango. Drug gangs have increasingly used dismemberment to intimidate local officials and residents.
In Baja California, six people were killed. Sinaloa and Nuevo each saw one killing.
Since December 2006, an estimated 18,000 people have been killed in Mexico’s drug wars. When he took office that year, President Felipe Calderon declared war on the drug cartels, using federal police.
- 121 Bodies recovered from mass graves in Mexican state - May 06, 2011
- 20 dead in Mexico bar attack - Jul 09, 2011
- Demand for private security services in Mexico up 40 percent - Dec 18, 2011
- Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot - Mar 09, 2011
- Six gunned down in Mexican bar - Aug 09, 2012
- Seven killed in Mexico violence - Jan 23, 2011
- Four die in Mexico prison fight - Jan 30, 2012
- 11 members of drug gang killed in Mexico - Aug 13, 2010
- Nine die in gunfight inside Mexican prison - May 20, 2011
- 24 killed in Mexico violence - Jan 09, 2011
- Mexican prison's security chief gunned down - Jul 30, 2012
- Gunmen attack casino in northern Mexico, kill 53 - Aug 26, 2011
- Mexican president says he received death threat - Aug 21, 2012
- Nine gunned down at Mexican nightclub - Feb 05, 2012
- 40 die in Mexican casino attack - Aug 26, 2011
Tags: armed attackers, baja california, blood bath, critical condition, dismemberment, dpa, drug cartels, drug gangs, drug wars, federal police, mexico bar, mexico city, president felipe calderon, saturday morning, security guards, weekend violence