‘Blocking vehicle’ tried to slow down Di’s Mercedes: WitnessNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:49 am ICT by admin
Speaking to French police two hours after the crash, he estimated the Mercedes was travelling at 150km/h (93mph).
“In front of the Mercedes was a car, of which I could not tell you the make.t was dark in colour and clearly this car was trying to make the Mercedes slow down,” the Scotsman quoted Partouche, as saying in the statement.
“The Mercedes was black. I think it was an S Class 500. The object of the manoeuvre was to make it possible for the paparazzi to take photographs,” he added.
In the same statement he referred to the dark car as “the blocking vehicle” and said the Mercedes had pulled out past it.
Partouche added in a later statement made to a French examining magistrate: “The vehicle in front of the Mercedes did not perform any dangerous manoeuvres on the road to prevent it (the Mercedes) getting past.”
Giving evidence by videolink from Paris to the inquest at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, Partouche said he now thought the Mercedes had been travelling slower than his first estimate but still “very very fast”.
Following it were “a number of motorcycles,” he said.
“I was just of the impression of a kind of a group, with in the front of the group the car and the motorcycles just behind at the same speed,” he added.
Other witnesses also told the inquest they recalled seeing a dark car in front of the princess’s Mercedes inside the tunnel.
Gaelle Lhostis, a Frenchwoman travelling through the underpass at the time of the crash, said the vehicle was “hindering” the Mercedes by travelling “rather slowly” ahead of it in the fast lane.
Another witness, Gaelle Lhostis, also speaking from Paris told the court she was asleep in the passenger seat of her fiance’s car when she was woken up after he had braked suddenly.
She said she had seen a dark-coloured vehicle, possibly like a Renault Clio, that was driving “rather slowly”.
In a statement to police hours after the crash, she said: “I saw a vehicle of a dark colour, a Clio or a Super 5-type, driving rather slowly. It was hindering a Mercedes that was following it at a high speed.”
Diana and her lover, Dodi Fayed, were killed, along with the Mercedes driver, Henri Paul, in the Paris crash on 31 August, 1997. (ANI)
- 'Princess Diana was murdered' - Jul 22, 2010
- 'Diana died after plan to frighten her into leaving lover went horribly wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- `Princess Diana died as attempt to scare her went wrong' - Mar 12, 2010
- Fayed reveals 'assassination' theory at Di's inquest - Nov 14, 2007
- Lady Gaga has an acute fear of dying - Dec 12, 2011
- Gaga fears dying like Lady Diana - Dec 08, 2011
- Jessica Chastain to play Princess Diana - Nov 08, 2011
- The colour of your car can determine your road accident risk - Dec 03, 2010
- Frenchman who 'heard Diana's dying words' exposed as a common thief - Nov 02, 2010
- Watts unveils Princess Diana makeover - Jul 03, 2012
- 'Innocent' Princess Di's driver 'set up' by French authorities, claims book - Mar 15, 2010
- Big B back home, upset with paparazzi's insensitivity (With Image) - Feb 24, 2012
- Di's death was not an accident, says leading lawyer - Sep 02, 2009
- '500 pieces of crucial evidence withheld in Princess Diana inquest' - Aug 07, 2010
- Jordan wants to be a psychologist - Aug 17, 2010
Tags: alma underpass, compact group, crash, dark car, ford mondeo, french police, gaelle, inquest, magistrate, mercedes, mid size, motorcycles, motorcyclists, paparazzi, paris, royal courts of justice, videolink