Blind man from UK to drive car at 200 mphAugust 1st, 2010 - 5:41 pm ICT by ANI
London, August 01 (ANI): In a daring act, a blind man will attempt to drive a car at a speed of 200mph.British driver Mike Newman will try to drive a car at 200 mph while getting instructions from a helicopter.
Bank manager Mike is to hurtle four miles along a beach in a 260mph supercar guided only by a radio link to his father in a helicopter.
Mike, a manager at Barclays from Sale, Manchester, hopes to clinch the world blind land speed record, which currently stands at 182mph.
The married father-of-two has headphones inside his crash helmet to receive instructions, which he says are a simple matter of ‘left a bit, right a bit’.
The record attempt will take place at Pendine Sands, in Carmarthenshire, South Wales, at 4pm.
Mike was born with severe glaucoma and has been blind since the age of 11. He previously held the record after zooming at 144.7mph in a Jaguar XJR in 2003. He also reached 178mph in a BMW M5 in 2005, and broke the world blind speed record on a motorcycle by riding at 89mph on a 1,000cc Aprilia Falco in 2000.
But he lost the driving record earlier this year when blind Turkish pop singer Metin Senturk drove a Ferrari F430 at 182mph.
“My ambition is to become the first blind unaccompanied driver to do over 200mph. It’s very exciting. You’ve got to be confident in the instructions you hear and sensitive with the wheel so you don’t overreact,” The Daily Mail quoted Mike as saying.
He will be driving a British car made by sponsors Keating Supercars and will raise money for Guide Dogs for the Blind.
“To have access to a car of this calibre is a dream come true,” he said. (ANI)
- The 100mph lawnmower that aims to smash world speed record next month - Apr 28, 2010
- Soon, rocket powered Brit car to be tested for 1,000mph speed - Mar 07, 2011
- British lawnmower cut through world land speed record - May 23, 2010
- Blind South African Driver enters Guinness Book by driving at 200mph - Oct 10, 2009
- Buckinghamshire inhabitant Perry Watkins creates a record for the fastest piece of furniture - Sep 08, 2010
- Green hybrid supercar zooms with jet turbine - Sep 30, 2010
- A supercar that crashed seconds into test drive - Oct 11, 2011
- British steam supercar aims to break world land speed record - Aug 19, 2009
- Perry Watkins Of Buckinghamshire Is All Set To Enlist His Name In Guinness Book - Sep 08, 2010
- Driving a convertible could be hazardous to health - Jan 05, 2011
- Mexican sets new world record for fastest barefoot water skiing - Mar 09, 2011
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Cole faces driving ban for speeding at 105 mph - Aug 19, 2010
- World's fastest lawnmower challenge launched - Dec 01, 2009
- Lampard clocked driving at nearly 93mph in a 50mph zone - Feb 25, 2011
Tags: blind man, bmw m5, british car, crash helmet, daily mail, daring act, ferrari f430, guide dogs for the blind, jaguar xjr, land speed record, metin senturk, mike newman, pendine sands, pop singer, radio link, record attempt, simple matter, south wales, supercars, turkish pop