Blasts, ambush kill 30 people in Afghanistan (Lead)May 5th, 2009 - 1:11 am ICT by IANS
Kabul, May 4 (DPA) A provincial mayor along with six others were killed in a suicide attack in eastern Afghanistan Monday, while 15 civilians, six private security guards and two Taliban militants were killed in separate attacks elsewhere in the country, officials said.
In the latest attack, a mayor, three of his bodyguards and three civilians were killed and three civilians were wounded Monday when a suicide bomber attacked the municipal office in Metarlam, the capital of Laghman province, the interior ministry statement said.
The bomber, who had strapped explosives around his body, also died in the attack, it said.
Taliban militants took responsibility for the bombing in a statement posted on their website.
Separately, a roadside bomb blew up a tractor carrying civilians in the Shamalzai district of southern Zabul province Monday morning, killing 12 civilians, Wazir Jawadi, district’s administrative chief, said.
Four women and two children were among those killed, Jawadi said. He held Taliban militants responsible for the attack.
Meanwhile, Taliban militants ambushed a convoy carrying supplies for NATO forces in Qalat district of Zabul province Monday, killing six private security guards, who were escorting the convoy, Abdul Rahman Sarjang, provincial police chief, said.
Sarjang said that two civilians were also killed in the firefight that happened on the Kabul-Kandahar highway.
Two militants were killed elsewhere in Zabul province when the bomb they were trying to plant on a roadside detonated prematurely, he said.
The Taliban rely heavily on suicide attacks and roadside bombings as part of their campaign against the Afghan government and around 70,000 international troops stationed in the country. The militants were responsible for more than 120 suicide bombings last year.
The militants have vowed to increase their attacks on the Afghan government and NATO forces in the country under the Nasrat (victory) operation they launched last week.
In western Herat province, NATO-led troops killed an Afghan child when they opened fire on a vehicle which was approaching their convoy and did not stop despite hand signals and warning shots, the alliance said in a statement Monday.
Wary of suicide bombers, who often attack their forces by vehicles packed with explosives, NATO forces have killed several Afghan civilians in the past after they did not heed warnings to stay away from their military convoys.
- 14 civilians, six security guards killed in Afghanistan - May 04, 2009
- 16 foreign troops killed in single day in Afghanistan - Oct 29, 2011
- Four children killed in Afghanistan blast - Nov 01, 2011
- 13 US soldiers die in Kabul bombing - Oct 29, 2011
- 18 Afghan civilians killed in blast (Lead) - Jul 29, 2011
- Taliban leader held in Afghanistan: ISAF - Aug 01, 2012
- Blasts rock Kabul as security forces fight Taliban (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Afghan terror attack ends: 48 dead, 65 injured (Second Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- Suicide attack kills seven policemen in Afghanistan - Aug 05, 2010
- Taliban strike Kabul, other Afghan targets (Second Lead) - Apr 15, 2012
- Eight Taliban killed in Afghanistan - May 06, 2012
- Taliban leader, five others killed in Afghanistan (Lead) - Feb 27, 2012
- Eight US soldiers among 25 killed in Afghanistan - Jul 14, 2010
- Afghan police kill 15 militants, detain 11 - Aug 23, 2012
- Twin attacks kill 10 in Afghanistan (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: afghan government, bodyguards, country officials, eastern afghanistan, firefight, four women, interior ministry, international troops, kandahar, ministry statement, nato forces, private security guards, provincial police, roadside bomb, roadside bombings, suicide attack, suicide attacks, suicide bomber, suicide bombings, zabul province