Blast kills senior Palestinian official in LebanonMarch 23rd, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Beirut, March 23 (DPA) A Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) official and four of his bodyguards were killed Monday when a roadside bomb targeted their convoy near a Palestinian refugee camp in southern Lebanon, Lebanese army and Palestinian sources said.
Kamal Medhat, assistant to PLO representative in Lebanon Abbas Zaki, was killed in the blast near the Miyeh Miyeh camp on the outskirts of the port city of Sidon.
Palestinian factions inside Ain el-Hilweh and Miyeh Miyeh camps went on the alert while the Lebanese army took strong security measures in the vicinity of the shantytowns.
A Lebanese army source told DPA that the blast hurled Medhat’s car into a nearby valley, killing him and his bodyguards instantly.
“Kamal Medhat was killed along with four of his bodyguards when a roadside bomb exploded as his convoy drove by, near the entrance to the camp,” said Munir Maqdah, in charge of security at Lebanon’s 12 refugee camps.
TV footage showed Medhat’s vehicle plunged into a large crater formed by the force of the explosion.
Kamal Medhat - otherwise known as Brigadier Kamal Naji - had been in charge over the past few years of the situation inside the Palestinian camp of Ain El Hilweh camp, biggest camp in southern Lebanon and which has witnessed several clashes between the mainstream Fatah movement and Hamas.
There are some 367,000 Palestinian refugees living in 12 camps across Lebanon.
- UN forces in Lebanon warned of possible attack: reports - Dec 17, 2008
- Lebanese Army kills two Al Qaeda-linked militants - Aug 15, 2010
- Abu Dhabi film fest moving in right direction - Oct 26, 2010
- More international flotillas headed for Gaza Strip - Jun 17, 2010
- UN Security Council condemns attack on UN mission in Lebanon - May 28, 2011
- 31 Al Qaeda men jailed by Lebanese court - May 13, 2010
- Heavy clashes in Palestinian camp in south Lebanon - Mar 22, 2008
- Over 30,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UN - Jul 09, 2012
- UN chief urges restraint from Israel, Arab sides - May 16, 2011
- Hundreds in Lebanon protest against Israeli raid on Gaza - Dec 28, 2008
- 34,000 Syrian refugees reach Lebanon: UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- Army, UN forces find explosives in south Lebanon - Dec 27, 2009
- Two Lebanese soldiers killed in Israel-Lebanon clash (Lead) - Aug 03, 2010
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: beirut march, fatah movement, lebanese army, lebanon beirut, medhat, nearby valley, palestine liberation organisation, palestinian factions, palestinian official, palestinian refugee camp, palestinian refugees, palestinian sources, plo official, plo representative, refugee camps, roadside bomb, shantytowns, southern lebanon, strong security, tv footage