Blame John Howard for leaving Barack Obama homeless!January 7th, 2009 - 2:19 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Jan 7 (ANI): The man who kept US President-elect Barack Obama out of the Blair House has reportedly been revealed, it is: former Australian prime minister and Bush mate John Howard.
Last month, the Obama family asked the Bush administration if they could move into Blair House the security home near the White House a fortnight early to get their daughters settled at their new schools.
However, they were refused saying that it was not possible because foreign dignitaries had been booked in.
Now, The Washington Post has revealed that the only dignitary staying overnight on January 12 is Howard, reports the age.com.au.
Howard and his wife Howard had been invited to stay at Blair House some time ago, and “that was the invitation”, a spokesman for the former prime minister said.
The couple will stay just one night - January 12 - and will not be accompanied by an entourage as some reports suggested, he said.
“I am sure he was unaware that Mr Obama wanted to come in early, when he accepted the invitation,” the spokesman said.
Sally McDonough, a spokeswoman for first lady Laura Bush also underscored that the inconvenience to the Obamas was inadvertent.
“Like many White House and Blair House events, planning occurs months in advance,” McDonough said.
Meanwhile, the Obamas are staying at the Hay-Adams Hotel at Lafayette Park while they wait to move to Blair House. (ANI)
- Bloggers declare war against Howard for leaving Obama homeless - Jan 08, 2009
- White House turns down Obamas request to move into Blair House - Dec 13, 2008
- Bush purchases Dallas home for post-White House life - Dec 05, 2008
- Bush to unveil his portrait in White House - May 19, 2012
- Bush family may have left many cherished items inside White House - Jan 21, 2009
- Obamas settle in to Washington luxury hotel - Jan 05, 2009
- Bush to be first president not to get lifetime Secret Service security detail - Jan 06, 2009
- 'US will not demonise entire Muslim community over terror hearings' - Mar 07, 2011
- US calls for vigilance against 9/11 threat - Sep 10, 2011
- Obama's insular White House worries his allies - Dec 25, 2010
- Obama appeals against violence in Egypt - Jan 30, 2011
- Analysts welcome US' demand for "orderly transition" to democratic govt in Egypt - Jan 31, 2011
- U.S. President Obama briefed on military operations in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
- Obamas to live in Washington hotel after Bush said official residence "unavailable" - Jan 01, 2009
- Jenna, Barbara Bush were Secret Service's nightmare, claims new book - Jul 20, 2009
Tags: australian prime minister, barack obama, blair house, bush administration, dignitary, entourage, first lady laura bush, foreign dignitaries, former prime minister, fortnight, hay adams hotel, jan 7, john howard, lady laura, lafayette park, laura bush, mate john, president elect, spokeswoman, washington post