Blake-Davydenko match suspended at EstorilMay 10th, 2009 - 1:35 pm ICT by IANS
Estoril (Portugal), May 10 (DPA) Rain wrecked the play at the Estoril Open Saturday, with the semi-final match between American James Blake and Nikolay Davydenko had to be suspended due to darkness.
The American who has never gone this far on European clay will be back Sunday to try and finish the job, then get a short recovery before tackling Spain’s seventh seed Alberto Montanes, who managed a win over Paul Capdeville of Chile 6-3, 6-4.
Blake lost the first set 6-7 (3-7) but was powering back after a 4-2 lead in the second against the former champion and last year’s finalist Davydenko, when darkness finally forced the match off court.
The afternoon contest was originally delayed by bad weather and then interrupted after just four games.
The women’s final was able to be completed before conditions worsened, with Belgian Yanina Wickmayer upsetting Russian sixth seed Ekaterina Makarova 7-5, 6-2.
“I’m really happy to have won my first WTA Tour title, I’ve worked hard for it,” said the new champion. “I don’t really have many words to describe the feeling - I’m nearly speechless.
“I’ve been playing well for a few weeks now. I didn’t have great results, but I’ve been practising really well. I felt this coming - not that I was going to win a title - but that I was playing well. I beat some good players this week, so I’m very happy.”
Wickmayer becomes Belgium’s first singles titlist since Justine Henin at Antwerp last February while also the lowest-ranked singles trophy holder so far this year.
- Federer overwhelms Melzer to set up Soderling showdown - Sep 07, 2010
- Serena reaches third round at Rome Open - May 17, 2012
- Nadal does it easy while Del Potro struggles through (Lead) - Jan 20, 2010
- Grass my worst surface: Davydenko - Jun 27, 2012
- Federer fires through to set up Paris rematch; Murray out - May 31, 2010
- Nadal reaches fourth round as Clijsters crumbles - Jan 22, 2010
- Belgian rivals set up fourth-round showdown, Isner crashes - Jun 26, 2010
- Federer enters fourth round at Wimbledon - Jun 26, 2010
- Federer through to set up re-match with Soderling - May 31, 2010
- Comeback queen Henin seizes stage as Nadal, Murray advance - Jan 24, 2010
- Henin ousts Sharapova at French Open - May 30, 2010
- Wickmayer ducks shadow of bigger Belgians to win at Auckland - Jan 09, 2010
- Verdasco win knocks Cilic, Stepankek from London race - Nov 11, 2009
- Australian Open: Sharapova to meet Kvitova in semis - Jan 25, 2012
- Australian Open: Roddick sets up meeting with Gonzalez - Jan 22, 2010
Tags: antwerp, bad weather, champion, chile, darkness, dpa, estoril open, estoril portugal, final match, four games, james blake, justine henin, montanes, nikolay davydenko, paul capdeville, rain, sixth seed, trophy, wta tour, yanina wickmayer