Blade Runner fails to qualify for the Olympic games in BeijingJuly 19th, 2008 - 3:26 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 19 (ANI): An amputee sprinter, whos nicknamed the Blade Runner, has failed in his bid to qualify for this summers Olympics in Beijing, after South Africas athletics federation left his name off its 1600-metre relay team today.
According to a report in new Scientist, Oscar Pistorius, who runs with the aid of carbon-fibre prosthetic legs, ran his best ever 400-metre time, but his 46.25 seconds fell short of the 45.55 second minimum needed to qualify for Beijing.
His failure to qualify, though not surprising, marks a turn of events.
In May, the Court of Arbitration for Sport repudiated a previous judgement by International Association of Athletic Federations that Pistorius carbon-fibre blades called Cheetahs offered an unfair advantage over able-bodied sprinters, calling into question the validity of previous tests.
An analysis led by biomechanist Peter Weyand, of Rice University in Houston, Texas, and other scientists determined that Pistorius ran no more efficiently than other elite athletes and previous claims that his Cheetahs returned extra energy could not be proven.
But the legal battle may have taken its toll on Pistorius.
The poor guys been fighting this for six month instead of training, Weyand told New Scientist after the tests results were announced.
However, Pistorius has said that he is happy with his seasons achievements despite missing out. He now plans to work towards qualifying for the 2012 Olympics in London. (ANI)
- Amputee Pistorius, Semenya to compete in World Athletics - Aug 08, 2011
- Prosthetic legs don't give amputee runners an unfair advantage: Study - Nov 05, 2009
- Olympic athletics: Blade Runner's 400 metre dream over - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Pistorius denied run as South Africa crash out of relay - Aug 09, 2012
- Defeated Pistorius questions rules - Sep 03, 2012
- Rogge lauds athletes, says Olympics happy and glorious (Lead) - Aug 13, 2012
- Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: Holmes - May 04, 2012
- Djokovic, Cheruiyot, Barcelona win Laureus Awards - Feb 07, 2012
- Paralympic athletes able to match Olympic greats - Sep 11, 2008
- Olympics: Bolt retains sprint titles, US overtakes China in medal tally (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Pistorius predicts hard race at Paralympics - Aug 29, 2012
- Olympic athletics: US women's quartet sets world record (Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Blade runner Pistorius looks to compete in London Olympics - Feb 19, 2008
- Sprint legend Quarrie says team support boosted Jamaica - Aug 22, 2012
- Woman power at London Games (Olympic diary) - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, amputee, blade runner, calling into question, carbon fibre, cheetahs, court of arbitration for sport, elite athletes, extra energy, judgement, new scientist, olympic games, oscar pistorius, prosthetic legs, relay team, rice university, south africas, sprinters, tests results, unfair advantage