Black Friday deal hunters in US turn violentNovember 26th, 2011 - 5:35 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Nov 26 (IANS) Hunting cheap deals, Black Friday shoppers turned violent in at least seven states, including California, where police say a woman doused fellow shoppers with pepper spray in a bid to snag a discounted video game console.
The incident happened Thursday night at a Walmart in the Porter Ranch area of Los Angeles as the store ushered in the traditional sales spree after the Thanksgiving holiday hours before midnight, CNN reported citing a police spokesman.
Ten people were exposed to the spray. Los Angeles firefighters treated them at the scene and no one required hospitalisation, he said.
Incidents also occurred in South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, New York, Alabama and Connecticut, with most of the reported incidents happening at or near Walmart stores.
Despite the reports, Walmart said the day’s shopping frenzy had been remarkably safe for shoppers at its thousands of stores nationwide.
In 2008, crowds of frantic Black Friday shoppers trampled a Walmart employee in New York as he and other workers tried to unlock the door at 5 a.m.
While no deaths were reported in this year’s shopping, authorities said they handled fights, shootings and other incidents through the morning.
In Myrtle Beach, South Carolina, police said two people suffered injuries in an apparent armed robbery attempt after they left a Walmart store around 1 a.m. Friday, CNN reported.
Would-be robbers struck a man on the head and shot a woman in the leg before another shopper displayed a gun and the assailants fled, police said. The woman was taken to a hospital for treatment, he said.
- Wal-Mart Hit By Shoplifting Amidst Cyber Monday Sales Season - Nov 28, 2010
- Black Friday 2011 Walmart early openings - Nov 23, 2011
- Shopper in a mess over not showing receipts at Wal-Mart - Dec 08, 2010
- Walmart Cyber Monday Deals Allure Shoppers All Over - Nov 27, 2010
- Police called into Walmart store over a bleach fight - Oct 10, 2011
- Thanksgiving sales on in some shops - Nov 25, 2009
- Black Friday Brings Online Bonanza In 2010 - Nov 20, 2010
- Walmart Offers Some Black Friday Goodies On Thanksgiving Itself - Nov 25, 2010
- Black Friday 2010: NRF Counsels The Need For Retailers' Readiness To Tackle Troublesome Situations - Nov 20, 2010
- Black Friday deals - Nov 25, 2011
- Shoppers Should Keep Their Receipts, Experts Say - Dec 08, 2010
- Wal-Mart looking into the reasons why their Black Friday 2010 ads was leaked - Nov 15, 2010
- Walmart fails to open shop in New York - Sep 21, 2012
- iPad is a hot favorite of the Black Friday 2010 deals - Nov 22, 2010
- Sikhs have faced over 700 attacks since 9/11 - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: armed robbery, assailants, black friday deal, cheap deals, cnn, deal hunters, fellow shoppers, firefighters, florida new york, myrtle beach south carolina, pepper spray, police spokesman, porter ranch, robbers, robbery attempt, thanksgiving holiday hours, walmart, walmart store, walmart stores, york alabama