BJP seeks apology from German team on Modi remarksApril 13th, 2010 - 7:06 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, April 13 (IANS) Nearly 400 Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) activists demonstrated outside the German consulate here Tuesday to protest “provocative” statements by members of a German parliamentary delegation against Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
“A team of delegates consisting German members of parliament belonging to Christian Democratic Union (CDU) visited Gujarat a few days back. Although this delegation was on an unofficial visit, a few members passed comments on the anti-conversion law passed by the Gujarat assembly,” said Atul Bhatkalkar, Mumbai unit general secretary of the BJP.
Bhatkalkar, with other members of the party, also met German Consul General Walter Spechel and submitted to him a memorandum demanding a retraction of the remarks and an unconditional apology from the delegation members.
“They should not be commenting on the laws enacted by the sovereign republic of India,” he added.
The BJP activists raised slogans slamming the German delegates outside the consulate office at Nariman Point in south Mumbai.
Bhatkalkar said Spechel assured them he would look into the matter.
The German delegation members, who visited Gujarat to study the status of minorities, reportedly justified the European Union’s earlier decision of not granting a visa to Modi.
- BJP protests anti-Modi remarks by German parliament team - Apr 11, 2010
- BJP demands German group apology for comment on Modi (Lead) - Apr 11, 2010
- BJP team to meet German envoy over comment on Modi (Second Lead) - Apr 12, 2010
- Modi seeks apology for German parliamentarians remarks - Apr 11, 2010
- Congress members harming party prospects in Gujarat: Shastri - Jul 31, 2012
- BJP protests German delegation remarks against Narendra Modi - Apr 12, 2010
- Posters target Modi for Sanjay Joshi exit (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- Modi appreciators being victimised, says BJP - Jul 30, 2012
- Guess who's praising Modi? Goa Congress leader! - Apr 27, 2011
- Political parties spar over Hazare remarks - Apr 11, 2011
- DU students remember victims of Gujarat riots - Feb 27, 2012
- Modi to skip BJP meet? It's personal, aide says - May 16, 2012
- Modi can lose Shiv Sena support: Thackeray (Lead) - Oct 20, 2011
- Modi's 'hang me' remark triggers Congress, BJP slug-fest (Lead) - Jul 26, 2012
- BJP bows to Modi, Joshi quits party (Roundup) - Jun 08, 2012
Tags: chief minister, christian democratic union, consul general, conversion law, delegation members, german consul, german consulate, german delegates, german delegation, german members, german team, gujarat, members of parliament, narendra modi, parliamentary delegation, provocative statements, republic of india, south mumbai, sovereign republic, unofficial visit