Bishop says Love Parade tragedy was god’s punishmentAugust 9th, 2010 - 9:25 am ICT by IANS
London, Aug 9 (IANS) An Austrian bishop has described the stampede at a German music festival that left 21 people dead as a sinful event and said the incident was God’s punishment for losing faith.
Andreas Laun, the Roman Catholic bishop in Salzburg, described the Love Parade and participation in it as a “rebellion against creation and against God’s order, which are sins and an invitation to sin”, Sky News reported.
Twenty-one people died and over 500 were injured in a stampede as revellers tried to get in to the festival in the German city of Duisburg July 24.
Writing on the German-language website kath.net, Laun linked the deaths to God’s right to punish apostates - those who turn their back on the true faith.
A memorial service was later held for the stampede victims, which was attended by German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Memorial service for Love Parade victims begins - Jul 31, 2010
- Unite to oppose gay marriage: Pope's envoy asks Muslims, Jews - Apr 28, 2012
- Catholic League slams Minaj's Grammy gig as vulgar - Feb 14, 2012
- 19 die in Germany stampede (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- Catholic University of America offers Hinduism courses - Nov 30, 2010
- Nevada's prominent Catholic school invites Zed to illustrate Hinduism - Mar 09, 2011
- Hailing altar girls outnumbering boys, Hindus urge Vatican to be more kind to Catholic women - Aug 10, 2010
- Police search for causes of German festival stampede - Jul 25, 2010
- Roman Catholic Church slams film about panic-prone Pope - Apr 20, 2011
- Probe begins into 19 deaths at Love Parade crush (Second Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- No trust deficit between India, Germany on high technology transfer: Merkel - Dec 12, 2010
- Prepare to take power: Germany, Italy tell Syrian opposition - Aug 30, 2012
- Pope accepts "humiliation" on abuse of minors by priests - Dec 21, 2010
- You can't confess your sins via iPhone, Vatican tells Catholics - Feb 10, 2011
- Hindus urge Vatican to be more kind to Catholic women - Jul 17, 2010
Tags: angela merkel, apostates, chancellor angela merkel, duisburg, german chancellor angela merkel, german city, german language, german music, language website, laun, losing faith, music festival, one people, rebellion, revellers, roman catholic bishop, salzburg, sky news, stampede, true faith