Birla Corp. mulling cement plant in EthiopiaJune 28th, 2012 - 8:38 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 28 (IANS) Birla Corporation, a flagship company of the M.P. Birla Group, is mulling setting up its first overseas cement plant in Ethiopia, a top company official said here Thursday.
The company has formed a wholly-owned subsidiary, Birla Corp. Cement Manufacturing Plc, in the African country and bagged the licence for limestone mining. It has also applied for a coal mining permit there, company chairman Harsh V. Lodha told mediapersons on the sidelines of the Annual General Meeting.
“We are mulling overseas plans. We have already set up a subsidiary to apply for the required licences,” Lodha said.
The company has started looking for overseas ventures following the Jodhpur High Court’s ban on limestone mining at its Chanderia plant in Rajasthan since August last year.
Once the Kolkata-based company gets the coal mining permit, it would conduct a market study to firm up the next step.
The company is also looking at other overseas ventures, but Lodha did not disclose details.
Lodha said the company’s performance has been affected as it is procuring raw materials from distant areas for the Chanderia Cement plant, whose capacity has been increased by 1.2 million tonnes in March.
- Birla Corp Q1 net down 24 percent - Jul 28, 2012
- Birla Corp plans Rs.1,025 crore capacity expansion investment - Jun 27, 2011
- Birla Corp to spend Rs.2,400 cr on expansion - Jun 23, 2010
- Tide Water may form joint-venture with JX Nippon - May 30, 2012
- Birla Corp looking at overseas acquisitions - Oct 27, 2009
- CESC to buy stake in Australian mining firm for $10 mn - Jun 09, 2011
- Coal India eyes further acquisition in Mozambique - Sep 20, 2011
- Gujarat NRE Coking Coal gets nod for longwall mining in Australia - Mar 28, 2012
- Dhunseri acquires tea estates in Africa - Jul 28, 2012
- Birla Corp to sign pact for Assam cement plant - Aug 31, 2010
- Birla Corp to set up cement plant in Assam - Jan 13, 2011
- Birla Corp eyes 3 percent rise in cement sales - Oct 24, 2011
- Birla Corp Q1 net profit down at Rs.118.28 crore - Jul 21, 2010
- Shanghai Electric to supply equipment for Haldia plant - Sep 15, 2011
- TIL to invest Rs.700 crore in Bengal factory - Aug 09, 2011
Tags: annual general meeting, birla group, cement plant, coal mining, company chairman, distant areas, flagship company, kolkata, lodha, m p birla, overseas ventures, rajasthan, raw materials, sidelines, subsidiary, tonnes