Bing to integrate social networking with search resultsMay 11th, 2012 - 1:17 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, May 11 (IANS) Microsoft Thursday announced that its search engine Bing will integrate information from social networking sites into search results.
According to Bing’s official blog, the new Bing search result page will be a three-column design. The largest column, covering the left half of the page, will be core web results, which is the traditional list of blue links related to users’ search query, reported Xinhua.
The center column, which is called Snapshot, provides relevant information and services, such as maps, restaurant reservations and reviews.
The right column is the social results called Sidebar, featuring information from one’s Facebook friends who may have some insights about the search query. It only works when users sign into both Facebook and Microsoft’s Windows Live.
Under the heading “People Who Know”, searchers can also find people who are influential about the topic they are searching from public posts of leading social networks such as Twitter, Foursquare, Quora, LinkedIn and Google Plus.
Bing is not the first to integrate social networking results into search. In January, Google introduced “Search Plus Your World”, bringing relevant content from its social network Google Plus to the Google search results.
- Microsoft launches TV campaign to challenge Google - Sep 07, 2012
- Microsoft unveils new email service - Aug 01, 2012
- Updates on social networking sites worth more than $30m a day - Apr 13, 2011
- Google launches custom tailored search feature - Aug 13, 2011
- What's happening to your Google search engine? - Sep 20, 2010
- Now, a website that gives 'accurate' replies to your Q & A's - Jan 11, 2011
- Google Dishes Out New Search Method To Counter Keyword Spam - Dec 16, 2009
- Will rivals do to Google what Facebook did to MySpace? - Jul 19, 2011
- Facebook to ask users phone details - Jun 15, 2012
- How To Find Jobs Through Social Networking Sites - Oct 18, 2010
- Google launches 'Instant' service - Sep 09, 2010
- Google unveils Instant Previews, a new visual search result - Nov 10, 2010
- Google Gets A New Look To Draw Bigger Revenue - May 06, 2010
- BlackBerry buys software company to beef up apps store - Apr 29, 2011
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: center column, column design, core web, facebook friends, google, google search results, left half, linkedin, maps, public posts, relevant content, restaurant reservations, search query, search result, snapshot, social networking sites, social networks, users search, web results, xinhua