Bindra gives India first ever individual Olympics gold (Lead)August 11th, 2008 - 12:19 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 11 (IANS) The Indian national anthem was played at an Olympics venue after 28 years as shooter Abhinav Bindra made history here Monday, winning the country its first individual Olympic gold medal. The last time India had won a gold medal at the Olympics was the hockey gold at 1980 Olympics in Moscow.
The 25-year-old bespectacled shooter showed nerves of steel as he scored 104.5 in the final to add to his 596 in the qualifier for a total of 700.5 points that gave him the coveted gold.
That composure gave way to a couple of blinks as he stood at attention while “Jana Gana Mana” was played and the Indian tricolour went up at the shooting range hall of the Beijing Olympics.
Bindra, the 2006 World Champion, claimed the gold ahead of China’s Qinan Zhu, who won the silver with a tally of 699.7 points (597 in the qualifier + 102.7 in the final). Finnish shooter Henri Hakkinen got the bronze with 699.4 points ( 598+100.4).
“It is a proud moment for me and a victoy for India. Olympic sports is not given priority in India. I hope now the focus will be on Olympic sports in the country,” Bindra told reporters at the Shooting Range Hall moments after the medal presentation ceremony.
Bindra finished fourth in the qualification round and his compatriot Gagan Narang narrowly missed the final as he finished ninth. After the qualifying round, Narang was tied with five shooters but failed to make into the top eight on the basis of back count.
- Needed a little luck: Bindra (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- I am sure Gagan will do well: Bindra (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Bindra fails to qualify, Narang makes final - Jul 30, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- I achieved what I came here to do: Narang - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India pins hopes on shooters Abhinav, Gagan - Jul 29, 2012
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Narang emerges out of Bindra's shadow (Profile) - Jul 30, 2012
- Winning two silver medals in a tough field is creditable, says Narang - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympics: Vijay Kumar gives India second medal from the ranges (Second Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Narang's bronze will motivate Indian athletes: Maken (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: 1980 olympics, 28 years, beijing olympics, compatriot, composure, hakkinen, hockey gold, indian national anthem, indian tricolour, jana gana mana, medal presentation, narang, nerves of steel, olympic gold medal, olympic sports, presentation ceremony, proud moment, shooting range, time india, world champion