Bin Laden’s killing justified: NATO chiefMay 5th, 2011 - 7:33 am ICT by IANS
Brussels, May 5 (IANS/AKI) The US operation in which Al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden was killed in Pakistan was “justified”, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said.
“The bottom line here is that the founder of Al Qaeda has been responsible for the death of thousands of innocent people, and I think it was justified to carry out this operation against him,” Rasmussen said at a news briefing in Brussels.
“And I do hope that this very successful operation will lead to undermining one of the world’s most dangerous terrorist networks, and I think that is what counts for a huge majority of people across the globe.”
Rasmussen said bin Laden’s killing would not change NATO’s Afghan mission or the transition timetable.
Bin Laden was shot dead by US special forces during a 40-minute raid at his fortified mansion in the Pakistani city of Abbottabad, north of Islamabad.
- Hamas condemns Al Qaeda leader's killing - May 03, 2011
- Italy terms Osama killing a 'great victory' - May 02, 2011
- Pakistani Taliban pledge revenge for Osama's death - May 02, 2011
- After Osama, it should be Mullah Omar's turn: Italy (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- NATO vows to continue Afghan mission - May 02, 2011
- NATO chief expresses concerns over Afghan insider attacks - Sep 04, 2012
- Nawaz Sharif calls for independent probe of Osama killing - May 12, 2011
- Osama killing was shared achievement: US Af-Pak envoy (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- It's not business as usual with Pakistan: NATO - Jul 03, 2012
- Taliban create special unit to avenge Osama killing - May 05, 2011
- Woman journalist sues US, Italy over Osama bounty - Aug 04, 2012
- Shots at chest, forehead killed Obama, US looks at seized material (Lead) - May 05, 2011
- Pakistan was not consulted on Osama raid: Salman Bashir - May 05, 2011
- Pakistan envoy for probe into Osama hideout - May 08, 2011
- US hardens stance against 'ally' Pakistan after Osama killing (Lead) - May 04, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,