Bin Laden’s deputy lauds slain Al Qaeda leadersMay 21st, 2010 - 12:23 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, May 21 (IANS/AKI) Al Qaeda’s second-in-command Ayman al-Zawahiri has in an audio taped message paid homage to two of his associates killed in Iraq last month.
Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden is also expected to release an audio message to honour the dead pair, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and Ayub al-Masri, in the next few days, according to jihadist websites Thursday.
“You, al-Baghdadi, were a great leader of the Islamic State of Iraq, you knew how take it over most ably from your comrade in arms, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi,” said the taped message, aired by Al-Jazeera TV, which is yet to be authenticated.
The Al Qaeda affiliated Islamic State of Iraq is an umbrella group made up a number of insurgent groups. Jordanian-born Al-Zarqawi, who was believed to have personally carried out a series of beheadings, died in an air raid on his hideout in Iraq in 2006.
Al-Baghdadi was the political leader of Al Qaeda in Iraq.
He and al-Masri, an Egyptian militant who was the insurgent group’s self-styled “minister of war”, were killed April 18 in a joint US-Iraq operation near the northern city of Tikrit.
Al Qaeda linked Somali insurgent group Al-Shabab, Al Qaeda’s North African branch Al Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb and several other Islamist militant groups operating in the Gaza Strip have all released messages of condolences.
- Al-Qaeda's second-in-command praises militant leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Two Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraqi-US operation - Apr 20, 2010
- Al-Qaeda video aims at child recruits - Apr 17, 2010
- Al Qaeda relations chief arrested in Iraq - Apr 22, 2010
- Al Qaeda in Iraq confirms deaths of its leaders - Apr 25, 2010
- Al Qaeda wants to train protesters' children in Tunisia - Jan 16, 2011
- Iraqi troops launch major offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- Iraq launches new offensive against Al Qaeda - Apr 26, 2010
- British let al-Qaida kingpin Zarqawi go free, say Iraq war logs - Oct 24, 2010
- 41 killed in Iraq bombing - May 21, 2009
- 31 Al Qaeda men jailed by Lebanese court - May 13, 2010
- Two top al-Qaida in Iraq leaders killed by Iraqi commandos - Apr 19, 2010
- Al Qaeda names new leader in Iraq - May 16, 2010
- Al-Qaeda linked group claims Mogadishu suicide blasts - Sep 10, 2010
- Al Qaeda says Tunisia's constitution violates Quran - Jun 12, 2012
Tags: abu bakr, abu musab al zarqawi, al baghdadi, al jazeera, al jazeera tv, al masri, al qaeda in iraq, audio message, ayman al zawahiri, ayub, comrade in arms, gaza strip, insurgent group, insurgent groups, islamic state of iraq, jihadist websites, minister of war, musab al zarqawi, snb, umbrella group